lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Ghost in the machine (04 36V PDS)

Ok guys I’m in desperate need of help. I have a 36v PDS that I’ve replaced virtually everything on and still I’m having the same issue. The issue I’m having is the cart runs 1/2 speed 70-80% of the time and full speed the other 20-30%. I’ve replaced: batteries (so it now has new 2019 Crowns); key switch, f&r switch, controller (both a rebuilt one and one off a known working cart) , now on the 3rd solenoid (for fear new ones were bunk); ITS; ITS harness; speed sensor (a new one and one off a known working cart); motor was fully serviced with bearing and brushes replaced and tested out fine. The only thing that hasn’t been replaced is the main wire harness. The cart usually will run at full speed after being in “tow mode” for a few minutes and then switching to run but as soon as you cut the key switch off then on again it reverts back to 1/2 speed. The cart will tone out a 3-2 code when it goes to 1/2 speed. Could this very well be a main harness issue? I’ve got continuity on all my wires in that harness. I’m at my wits end on this so any help would greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ghost in the machine (04 36V PDS)

I'm a series guy, so don't know if PDSs have them, but have you tried removing the 1/2 speed wire from the controller?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Ghost in the machine (04 36V PDS)

Try looking at this post it may help you out.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...installed.html
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since you've replaced the controller with a known working one, I suspect the ghost is the "sonic" weld in the red wire that attaches to the solenoid's battery side large terminal and feeds battery pack voltage to one side of the beeper and J1 Pin-5 on the controller.

This is the source of Auxiliary Power, which is the first thing that EZGO suggest checking when a 3-2 error code occurs.

In their infinite wisdom, EZGO designers appears to have ran the wire to the beeper and the tap to the controller, so a failure at the tap makes the drive system malfunction instead of just the beeper. On second thought, it was probably their lawyers and bean counters idea since non-functioning beeper settlements are far more expensive than malfunctioning cart settlements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (129.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Since you've replaced the controller with a known working one, I suspect the ghost is the "sonic" weld in the red wire that attaches to the solenoid's battery side large terminal and feeds battery pack voltage to one side of the beeper and J1 Pin-5 on the controller.

This is the source of Auxiliary Power, which is the first thing that EZGO suggest checking when a 3-2 error code occurs.

In their infinite wisdom, EZGO designers appears to have ran the wire to the beeper and the tap to the controller, so a failure at the tap makes the drive system malfunction instead of just the beeper. On second thought, it was probably their lawyers and bean counters idea since non-functioning beeper settlements are far more expensive than malfunctioning cart settlements.

That makes sense...so what’s the solution for the sonic weld? Butt connect it? Replace the wire entirely?

Old 02-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams81 View Post
That makes sense...so what’s the solution for the sonic weld? Butt connect it? Replace the wire entirely?

If mine ever acquires a poltergeist, I'll probably trace the red wire from J1 Pin5 into the wiring harness a little was and cut it off, insulating the raw end if the wire left in the harness, then add a ring terminal to the wire from J1 Pin-5 and attach it to the Battery side large terminal on the solenoid.

I've never done it, so I don't know if you can get enough of the red wire out pf the harness to reach the solenoid, so you might have to splice in an extension.

-------------
Whatever works to get B+ on J1 in-5.

-----------
Before diving in and cutting the red wire, etc, I verify low voltage on J1 Pin-5 is causing the 1/2 speed problem. I remember one instance where the problem was a burnt pin in the J1 plug.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #7
twilliams81
Gone Wild

I’ll try this in the AM and let you know how it goes. Thanks Johnnie B!

Old 02-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Ghost in the machine (04 36V PDS)

Ok so I ran a test on J1/pin 5 by measuring from B- to the pin and I never got low voltage readings so I decided to do what you said anyway and run J1/pin5 directly to the battery side large post of the solenoid and STILL have the same issue. Thinking maybe a magnet might be the problem I replaced with one off a good running cart and STILL I have the same issue. I’m not sure WTH is going on at this point.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The crimped connection of the ring terminal on the red wire at the solenoid's battery side large terminal looks a bit flaky, I don't see a pre-charge resistor and you no longer have no B+ to the beeper.

A slipping magnet disk will put cart in a reduced performane mode, but would generate a 1-3 error code rather than a 3-2.

As I understand it, a 3-2 error is generated when the voltage between the controller's B- and B+ terminals is not less then the voltage between the controller's B- terminal J1 Pin-5 (aux voltage). Two conditions that can cause that situation are the voltage at J1 Pin-5 is lower the battery pack voltage or the solenoid contacts are staying closed. Another possibility is EZGO screwed up and the logic voltage (J1 Pin-4) is the reference voltage rather than the auxiliary voltage. The voltage source for the logic voltage is the reed switch via a wire from one side of the cart to the other with a push-on spade connector in it.

I'd check voltage on J1 Pin-4 when cart is misbehaving.

Also, pull all of the plugs out of the controller and spray clean them, after giving the contacts in both plugs and jacks a close visual inspection.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
EzGoRN
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Is there any chance it might be related to the "yellow plug"?
EzGoRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO