lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Bop4
Not Yet Wild

Default Fleet RXV 2014 Considering Purchase

I will be looking at a 2014 RXV tomorrow that appears to be at a golf course. I will not know until I get there and that probably means it is a fleet cart. Ad says it has new 2019 batteries and they look new in the photos. It also has headlights, tail lights turn signals. Seller states that it needs nothing. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Is/are there anything that I need to look closely at? Seems to be a decent price for and RXV.
Bop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fleet RXV 2014 Considering Purchase

In my limited experience owning a 2010 RXV for a few years the primary issue that comes up is the electronic motor brake, they don't take abuse well, I have changed out mine twice. Thankfully I can do it in about 20 minutes now, and the part only costs about $120 online. When these fail the either drag and get hot, or don't grip enough to pass the start up twist test. If so the cart will refuse to move, this tend to get worse over time, and for a while you get get away with rocking the cart a little and turning the key to forward or reverse to get it to "go into gear", sometimes bracing the car with your foot to keep it from rolling is enough to pass the twist test when it is a marginal brake.

The second thing to worry about with ANY RXV is to make sure no shade tree golf cart mechanic works on it, there are lots of things you can get away with on traditional golf carts that will fry the electronics on an RXV. They are computer controlled, even the key switch is a digital input to the controller and not a traditional ignition key switch. Splicing wires and tapping into the factory wiring harness in any way is a BIG NO NO on an RXV. Any lights, radios, or other non-factory items should have their own wiring ran back to the 12V output DC-DC power converter, and should never be tapped to single battery as high draw from one battery can lurch an RXV into limp mode while you are driving
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Not deal-breakers necessarily, but things to point out and say, "Hmmm, I don't know..." while negotiating price:

Download Owner's Manual from the stickies and note daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly maintenance and ask for any logs.

Series and PDS carts require oil change in rear end at 5 years. Dunno about RXVs.
Do the Zerks appear to have ever been lubed?
Is there corrosion on the battery tray?
Has the rear end oil been changed?
Check voltage of each battery, and check liquid levels.
Check all electrical devices.
Check brakes at high speed. Specs in manual.
Check steering at high speed. Fleet would have been driven a lot. Rack and pinion steering wears in the middle the most.
Check tire pressure and wear pattern.
See if charger seems to work.

Check state and local laws, regulations, ordinances, etc. to see if it's street legal. Even if you don't care, down the road a potential buyer might.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Only thing I might add is check those batteries closely. Seems unusual for a fleet cart to have new batteries coming off a lease. I'm not saying they are not new, but I would make sure. Looks can be deceiving.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
Bop4
Not Yet Wild

Thank you all for your input. I assume the batteries will be dated or the owner can show a receipt for the batteries to confirm the date of purchase. Photos of the cart show a large Jacobson mower in the background with maintenance buildings which indicates the cart is on a golf course. I can only assume that the owner had to replace the batteries to sell the cart assuming they got 5 years out of the first set. We will see.

I am unable to find the owner’s or service manual for the RXV under the Sticky’s which may mean that I am just challenged in searching this forum. Can anyone point me to the right location?

Can another battery or two be added to the existing to increase the capacity and range of the cart? I will add a rear seat and the bag storage area may have enough room for an additional battery or two.

Great forum by the way. A world of knowledge about carts. This site is what convinced me to look for an RXV. I’m in Central Florida so not many hills except in my neighborhood but plan to haul grand kids and use it to shoot clays. So the modifications will begin soon.
Bop4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There is little to nothing about RXV's in the sticky's.

Here is a link to the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/83...ic.html#manual

There may be a revision for later models but the basics are here. Also doesn't cover the "Elite" versions.

Here is another source for manuals directly from EZGO: https://ezgo.txtsv.com/owners/product-manuals (PDF)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok here are the basics you need to know about RXV revisions, there are fundamentally 2 of them, the 2008-about 2011 RXV's like mine use a Danaher controller system, then in about 2012 They switched to a Curtis brand controller. There were several minor changes that happened between 2008-2010, which only matter if you are considering these early production units. There has not been much change since the Curtis controller units came out around 2012, unless you are talking bout the Lithium battery powered elite model, or other upper end offerings..

The standard RXV is powered by 4 12V batteries, it is possible to replace the battery tray with one that fits 6 8V batteries for improved range. I think this tray costs around $225 online, at least that is what I recall.

If adding a rear seat to a cart that did not have the factory rear seat option you may want to also install the HD rear leaf springs.

Also don't go too big on tire size for the RXV I am running these cheap 20 inch tires on my RXV https://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels...s-1-5021-2.axd which is about the largest that will fit without a lift kit (though a 1/4 inch wheel spacer is needed on the rear? to prevent rubbing). With them and a maxed speed limiter (I think standard speed is locked to 8 or 11 mph, and unlocked on stock tires is 1 RXV I get 23 mph, and with the RXV's car like front suspension I would not feel safe going much faster. (Driving an RXV at 23 mph is sort of like driving a car at 80 mph)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The 2014 will have a Curtis controller. With the stock controller and stock 18" tires, it can be reprogrammed to run 26 to 27 MPH. With 20.5" tires, it can be reprogrammed to run up to 5 MPH faster. You're not going to need to add batteries to the bagwell, but you may want to upgrade to a lithium pack in the future.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo rxv 2014
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO