lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #1
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Charging advice

I just got my 19 2five Monday. It came with the battery meter reading just over half. We drove around alot that 1st night so I charged it overnight.

The next day I drove @1/2 mile and checked the water levels of all batteries. The 6 batteries required just over a gallon of distilled water. (Does that seem ok? They are trojan T875 made 12/18.)

Since the full charge Monday we've driven @2miles. The battery meter is at full. Should I be charging each night after the 1 mile trip?

I've only charge once, monday.

Thanks
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Charging advice

Yes. Charge it every time.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Your's are still relatively new, so I'd follow recommendations on ScottyB's website:

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I follow the park it charge it regardless of how far I drive.
Always keep batteries fully charged��
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

That sounds like a bit much water. They shouldn't be filled all the way to the top.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:07 AM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

It seems like a lot of water to me too. See the attachment below for the Trojan electrolyte level recommendation.

To get the best life from your batteries, you should not discharge them to less than a 50% state of charge. State of charge is best determined using a stabilized battery pack voltage reading. See the attached state of charge chart for more information.

Batteries stored below an 80% state of charge can sulfate on you, which can result in permanent impairment if left long enough. It is best practice to charge your cart after every use ... no matter if you drove for 2 minutes or 2 hours ... charging them after each use will result in longer battery life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Electrolyte Level.JPG (87.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:24 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

And of course use distilled water.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:32 AM   #8
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
That sounds like a bit much water. They shouldn't be filled all the way to the top.

I thought so too. I used distilled water and the auto shutoff bottle available at car parts store. The water level in each cell was brought up to just below the "vent" area. Thats what I saw in most videos. I couldn't really use the auto shutoff that much because of the setup. I mean being street legal there was a plastic plate that was under the seatbelts buckes for the front passengers. Once removed it was easier to get to most cells. Each of the last 3 cells on each of the second row of batteries required a small funnel. Even with the auto fill I stopped to look repeatedly to avoid overfilling.

There was a small amount of the white dust on a few terminals. Yesterday I bought my basic tools to clean those and monitor. Volt meter, etc... So today I'll clean put some protection on those and run the charge down to the 70% range. Then recharge. Wait and test. (Sound ok?)

I'm not sure what the dealer had done prior, but they seemed like they didn't do much. I think the fact that it came at a less than 100% charge shows that Second noticeable thing was they hadn't wash the cart. I gave it a quick bucket wash. I'm currently watching cleaning videos. Looking for those suggestion also. It started with the original trans am in the 70s. I have also been a buff wax shine extreme detail person. Today I use my old battery tooth brushes to clean seats, interior crevious, etc. In the 70s it was manual tooth brushes! Thank God for technology.

PS I've been told when I trade cars in "Buddy we usually don't sell new ones this nice." And that's Cadillac, and other high end dealers. I also a wire loom color scheme freak under the hood. Lots of those plastic parts can be customed.
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuggyboy View Post
I thought so too. I used distilled water and the auto shutoff bottle available at car parts store. The water level in each cell was brought up to just below the "vent" area. Thats what I saw in most videos. I couldn't really use the auto shutoff that much because of the setup. I mean being street legal there was a plastic plate that was under the seatbelts buckes for the front passengers. Once removed it was easier to get to most cells. Each of the last 3 cells on each of the second row of batteries required a small funnel. Even with the auto fill I stopped to look repeatedly to avoid overfilling.

There was a small amount of the white dust on a few terminals. Yesterday I bought my basic tools to clean those and monitor. Volt meter, etc... So today I'll clean put some protection on those and run the charge down to the 70% range. Then recharge. Wait and test. (Sound ok?)

I'm not sure what the dealer had done prior, but they seemed like they didn't do much. I think the fact that it came at a less than 100% charge shows that Second noticeable thing was they hadn't wash the cart. I gave it a quick bucket wash. I'm currently watching cleaning videos. Looking for those suggestion also. It started with the original trans am in the 70s. I have also been a buff wax shine extreme detail person. Today I use my old battery tooth brushes to clean seats, interior crevious, etc. In the 70s it was manual tooth brushes! Thank God for technology.

PS I've been told when I trade cars in "Buddy we usually don't sell new ones this nice." And that's Cadillac, and other high end dealers. I also a wire loom color scheme freak under the hood. Lots of those plastic parts can be customed.
Oh goodie, the classic "automotive battery filler". All it does automatically is chronically over fill golf cart batteries. Chuck that thing, it wasn't made for properly filling golf batteries. In a week or so, you will be back asking "why is the tops of all my batteries wet?", And the answer will be "overfilled".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
Sideways
Gone Wild

Not sure if it will help your situation or not but I use a turkey baster to fill my batteries and it only takes a few minutes. I also connect the charger after every ride, regardless of distance driven.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO