lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #1
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Predator Warning

I would like to thank Drew, BGW member Duhrew, for bringing my attention to a very real threat to cart owners.

There is a golf cart shop in Savannah GA (Custom Golf Carts of Rincon) where the guy installs speed gears in carts for those that just want more speed, at all costs. This guy (Andy Atkins) charges a lot of money, and lacks the knowledge of the implications of running these speed gears in modern computerized carts. He makes changes in the controller that destroys normal operation, leaving the cart trying to "chase its own tail"! It is forever trying to reach a speed level to regulate at, that is not possible to reach, forever pushing more current (I read 3X normal current in a 72V AC S4) to the motor in an attempt to reach over 66 MPH. There is no going back, as once those settings are changed, the cart is running with a permanent Parameter Fault error. No backups of the original controller settings are available, so the only cure is to replace the controller with a new one, and to have stock gears reinstalled.

This S4 was running unregulated at speeds of up to 44 MPH. My only possible solution was to undo his crazy parameters changes, recalibrate the motor maps to the new effective gear ratio, and lower the speed target to something more realistic. When done, motor current was regulated to about 1.25% higher than stock, top speed increased to a regulated 47 MPH (due to increased motor efficiency), and the motor was no longer cooking.

I wanted the carting public to be aware that drag racing golf carts on the streets is both illegal, and highly dangerous! They are not designed for those speeds, and are highly unstable!

I am not endorsing the above mentioned shop, or the owner. Previous customers are cut off from suppport once they top out the ability of their carts to reach ever higher speeds after his speed gears and controller mods. Phone calls are not answered or returned. The only thing right this guy did was refer the S4 owner to contact me if he wanted even more speed. I appreciate the referral, but I would much rather not to have to intervene after the damage is done! There are many cart owners that need proper speed tuning, and spending hours diagnosing intentional damage is time better spent helping others.

Thank you Drew!

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO