lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Redhorse34
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Speed Controller Removal

Can someone please tell where exactly is the speed controller located at on a 2013 EZGO RXV? Is it easy to remove? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redhorse34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed Controller Removal

Under the black cover on the passenger side of the battery compartment. Cart in the photo is a 2012 with 8v batteries so if you have 12v batteries it will look slightly different.

Bob Boyce posted these instructions for controller removal awhile back and I saved them. Suggest you select "tow" and disconnect a battery cable before starting removal.

"First thing, flip the run/tow switch to tow, have the key switched to off, and remove the key. Remove the push-pins (press center pin down a bit then pull the entire pin assembly out of each hole. The center pins insert from the top after putting the push pins back in the holes) so the cover can be lifted out. Take plenty of photos of how the controller is mounted and wired. Take notes if required on how the controller power cables connect to the battery pack...

Remove the black battery cable from the negative pack terminal. Remove the red battery cable from the positive pack terminal. Remove the bolts from the controllers B- and B+ terminals. B- holds the black battery cable attached, and B+ holds the copper strap from the controller side of the solenoid. Remove the top two mounting bolts from the controller, one on each side. This will allow the resistor mount/heat sink shield to be removed and laid to one side. Revove the bolts from the resistor terminal and the 3 motor terminals. Those 3 are color coded and lettered to match the markings on the controller. Remove the bottom 2 controller mounting screws, one on each side. You should be able to push the controller rearward, more to one side, then tip that end up and pull it out. The run/tow switch stays in tow with the key off until after you re-assemble the controller to the cart and complete the wiring work.

To put the controller back in, reverse the above instructions."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.jpg (296.9 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Redhorse34
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Under the black cover on the passenger side of the battery compartment. Cart in the photo is a 2012 with 8v batteries so if you have 12v batteries it will look slightly different.

Bob Boyce posted these instructions for controller removal awhile back and I saved them. Suggest you select "tow" and disconnect a battery cable before starting removal.

"First thing, flip the run/tow switch to tow, have the key switched to off, and remove the key. Remove the push-pins (press center pin down a bit then pull the entire pin assembly out of each hole. The center pins insert from the top after putting the push pins back in the holes) so the cover can be lifted out. Take plenty of photos of how the controller is mounted and wired. Take notes if required on how the controller power cables connect to the battery pack...

Remove the black battery cable from the negative pack terminal. Remove the red battery cable from the positive pack terminal. Remove the bolts from the controllers B- and B+ terminals. B- holds the black battery cable attached, and B+ holds the copper strap from the controller side of the solenoid. Remove the top two mounting bolts from the controller, one on each side. This will allow the resistor mount/heat sink shield to be removed and laid to one side. Revove the bolts from the resistor terminal and the 3 motor terminals. Those 3 are color coded and lettered to match the markings on the controller. Remove the bottom 2 controller mounting screws, one on each side. You should be able to push the controller rearward, more to one side, then tip that end up and pull it out. The run/tow switch stays in tow with the key off until after you re-assemble the controller to the cart and complete the wiring work.

To put the controller back in, reverse the above instructions."

Great, I did see that cover on mine. I just joined the group yesterday and have learned a ton of stuff since then. I will follow these instructions. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #4
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can’t remember for sure but it was either 2012 or 2013 when ezgo switched from the Danaher controller to the Curtis controller.

The Danaher controller is grey. The Curtis Controller is black.

If you have a grey Danaher, Bob’s instructions are basically correct, but getting to the bolts & such is a pain as the clearances are tighter. I ended basically taking the Danaher off it’s mountings from the top down, and pulling it out piece by piece

The Curtis can be pulled out as an assembly.

Be patient and maybe have a beer or two while your working on it!!!!

jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
Redhorse34
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
Can’t remember for sure but it was either 2012 or 2013 when ezgo switched from the Danaher controller to the Curtis controller.

The Danaher controller is grey. The Curtis Controller is black.

If you have a grey Danaher, Bob’s instructions are basically correct, but getting to the bolts & such is a pain as the clearances are tighter. I ended basically taking the Danaher off it’s mountings from the top down, and pulling it out piece by piece

The Curtis can be pulled out as an assembly.

Be patient and maybe have a beer or two while your working on it!!!!

Ok, thanks for the info. I’m waiting for Bob to respond to my PM before I start the removal. I hope to get it sent to him this coming week. I heard he’s still traveling around. Not sure when he’s due back home. Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

He spent last weekend at our place. He was beat to a pulp and mostly slept in. He desperately needed the rest.

He had a few more carts he was going to program with the last one supposed to be Thursday in Wisconsin.

My bet is when he gets home - he’ll sleep.

I’m not expecting to see him on this forum until early next week....

jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #7
Redhorse34
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkredman View Post
He spent last weekend at our place. He was beat to a pulp and mostly slept in. He desperately needed the rest.

He had a few more carts he was going to program with the last one supposed to be Thursday in Wisconsin.

My bet is when he gets home - he’ll sleep.

I’m not expecting to see him on this forum until early next week....

That’s good to know. Thanks for the update. I’ll be patient. lol

Old 03-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys! I'm home, and I'm BEAT
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #9
Redhorse34
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Thanks guys! I'm home, and I'm BEAT

Glad you made it home Bob! Get some rest and message me when you’ve caught up on your sleep. Thanks

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO