lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Navitas ac conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Reliable. American Made. Two year warranty. And the best customer service in the business.
Hard to argue with any of that. If you want to stay DC Alltrax seems like a no-brainer. It seems more that the Navitas is kind of maligned I guess, and I take it they have a lesser warranty and poor customer service? I can't seem to find anybody's experiences good or bad...
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #12
alangsam
Getting Wild

I bought the controller motor kit for my precedent. I will hopefully get to it over thanksgiving. Right now I get 28mph with the alltrax 400 and fsip. That said it’s a battery killer set up. Navitas online support for my questions has been great. This motor controller set up should give me 30mph 7000 rpm with stock tires and more torque with less battery draw. We will see. I will let the forum know
My experiences. Also I am looking forward to the Bluetooth connectivity. Having a usb cord connected to my laptop when driving is kind of old school.
alangsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Let us know what you think of it. I had a chance to drive another AC converted cart and it had tons of power but it would tend to jerk around a lot when trying to slow down or maintain a steady speed that was anything other than full speed. Might have been a settings issue or something that could be worked out in programming, but it was not a smooth and comfortable ride, and some of the jerking it was doing was hard enough to damage gears in the axle IMO. I would imagine someone running it on flat ground, maybe with no regen braking at all, might never notice, but the hills we have here it just didn’t seem to want to go down smoothly, especially if you were just trying to maintain a steady speed.
It was also very slow react when hitting the pedal from a stop. With the speed and accel set at a “normal setting” it was mostly tolerable but it would take some getting used to. But if the speed and accel were turned all the way up there was about a one second delay and then it would kick it hard enough to throw you out of the seat. It actually made it very difficult to maneuver in tight places or do anything in reverse because it would a kick so hard it would shove your foot down more on the throttle. Anything more than the lightest possible touch was borderline dangerous IMO.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #14
alangsam
Getting Wild

I bought the navitas AC kit which included the 600amp controller,5kw motor OTF programmer and install kit for a CC Precedent Iinstalled it today in several hours in a 2018 Club car precedent stretch with 18” tires, good batteries and an upgraded 400 amp solenoid.

I previously had the Alltrax 400 controller and FSIP speed motor. This combo gave me 28mph with better torque than stock.

The AC system is simply incredible. The torque from 0-20mph is head snapping the cart gets to 31mph on flat ground very quickly.
The quality of the kit is excellent and installation was straightforward. They give you a predrilled aluminum mounting plate that screw the the place where your stock Curtis or alltrax was installed. You then screw the navitas controller to the plate. IMO easier than mounting the alltrax and essentially ties the heat sink to the aluminum mounting plate of the cart.
The programming is done via a Bluetooth app from the App Store. The app includes a dashboard for speed motor temp throttle position controller temp and the ability to lock the cart remotely. This blows away the usb printer cable you need to connect to a laptop with the alltrax. Now when I first fired it up it wouldn’t go last 25mph so I emailed the navitas support line this evening (thanksgiving. ). I got an email in minutes asking me for my email address and if it was iOS or Android. They then sent me a link for what they call a dealer app that unlocks higher speeds and the granular fine tuning you get with alltrax but via Bluetooth which is light years ahead. When I needed a new motor map from alltrax I had to call them and the only tech they have was off that day. I know everyone loves alltrax but my experience so far is navitas support was impressive.
Now for the price difference. Golf cart gurus sells the kit for 1799 however if you ask he will discount to 1699 no tax free shipping. I got it in one day. Impressive since the motor along weighs 72 pounds! I had spent close to 1000 for the alltrax plus fan plus the fsip motor and tax and shipping.
I am now selling my alltrax and fsip on eBay.
Guys there is a reason all of the electric cars on the road use AC not DC motors. Yes they cost more but if you have the finds I wouldn’t wast my time with DC anymore

The controller by the way can handle up to 72 volts. I can’t imagine the speed potential as the motor is rated up to 9000 rpm!!
Old 11-29-2019, 01:01 AM   #15
Nolagt
Gone Wild

Thank you for the feedback. I would like to get a 48v cart with this kind of setup combined with some lithium batteries of some sort.

What about your distance on a charge, has that changed?
Nolagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #16
alangsam
Getting Wild

Too early to tell on range my sons are pedal to the metal maxing it out at 31. That uses a lot of juice. I will dial down the acceleration ans drive it normally and see what I can ascertain

As to the previous post before mine there is no jerkiness it’s very smooth.
And I’ll say it again the acceleration. From 0-20 is incredible. On smooth surfaces it chirps the tires and snaps the head back. Seatbelts will be the next purchase as well as some grab handles.

I would bet with a battery pack the could hold 50 plus bolts this thing would do 35 and with bigger tires 40 which for me at this point is toooo fast for a golf cart...
Old 11-29-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsam View Post
Too early to tell on range my sons are pedal to the metal maxing it out at 31. That uses a lot of juice. I will dial down the acceleration ans drive it normally and see what I can ascertain

As to the previous post before mine there is no jerkiness it’s very smooth.
And I’ll say it again the acceleration. From 0-20 is incredible. On smooth surfaces it chirps the tires and snaps the head back. Seatbelts will be the next purchase as well as some grab handles.

I would bet with a battery pack the could hold 50 plus bolts this thing would do 35 and with bigger tires 40 which for me at this point is toooo fast for a golf cart...
Thanks for the review - great info. Are you using it primarily on flat terrain or do you have some hills?

Did you GPS the 31 or is that via the Navitas App speed readout? That's pretty impressive in a stretch cart.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #18
alangsam
Getting Wild

The speed is GPS. So happens it correlates with the Navitas app as well. You can go in and set your tire size etc. it’s on flat ground but there is so much torque I would bet it wouldn’t slow down much on a hill.

I’ll tell you 31 feels fast in a cart.. I am also looking into front discs
Old 11-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #19
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by alangsam View Post
The speed is GPS. So happens it correlates with the Navitas app as well. You can go in and set your tire size etc. it’s on flat ground but there is so much torque I would bet it wouldn’t slow down much on a hill.

I’ll tell you 31 feels fast in a cart.. I am also looking into front discs
Did you change to heavier gauge battery / motor cables with your Alltrax or are you still using the stock Club Car ones? What batteries are you running?

I agree with you that 31 feels fast in a cart! But too much horsepower is somehow just barely enough. And sometimes it's not enough for long.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #20
alangsam
Getting Wild

My cart came with 4ga. Wires get warm not hot. I have the 2 ga welding cable and logs just have gotten around to making the cables. My batteries are the 170ah interstate about 18 mos old. Will be going lithium at some point.

Won’t try to go faster until I get front discs and seatbelts for every seat. I also notice that at nigbt you can. Out drive the headlights it’s going so fast
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car