lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 03 Workhorse 800

My bother has a 03 workhorse 800. Coil had a wire break so he got a new coil and plugs. We cleaned and rebuit the carb replaced all the fuel line and the fuel filter checked compression and adjusted the valves. Sometimes when watching the plugs both fire Sometimes they don't. This is also shown buy the fact the cart doesn't have enough power to move and only one side of the exhaust manifold will get hot. I know that its possible to buy a bad coil but he asked me if there was anything else that could be causing it to not fire and I cant think of anything so im coming here to ask and verify that. Besides the coil is there anything I've missed that I should check?
pacman377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 03 Workhorse 800

What was your compression ?
Did you purchase an aftermarket coil ?
Sounds like it is not firing on one cylinder. You can tell by listening to it as if it is missing on one it will sound much different. You can remove one of the plug wires one at a time and see if it runs. If you find by removing one of them it don't run then the other one is not firing
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My brother bought the coil off ebay so Iassumed it might be a China coil but he mentioned he paid $80 for it and thats i believe about the same as a ezgo coil. As far as compression 190psi and 187psi. I can unplug one plug and check that way however I'm 100% certain its firing on 1 cylinder the few times it has run on both it runs like a scalded dog when its running on 1 and only has 1 half of the manifold hot it runs like crap.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

On these engines the only way I have been able to successfully test the spark is with the tester that looks like a spark plug.
I never had any luck using the inline testers. This would be the only way to know for sure if both plugs are firing, for me anyway.
You test them one at a time leaving the wire on the other spark plug when doing the test. NAPA has the tester you need. Part number SME 705931
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark tester.jpg (15.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I may have to get that and try it. Because running it with one plug hooked up and the other disconnected it won't have run. But with both its completely gutless and one exhaust port is cold while the other is hot.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

With one plug wire disconnected it will barely run and past half throttle it will just be running off the starter motor. Hook both plugs back up and it fires and runs nearly instantly but the clutch will only pull the belt up half way or a little less on the pully (its in neutral so no load). After you run it the driver side of the manifold is hot enough you can't touch it but the passenger side is cold. Also with the motor cold you can have it in neutral hit the gas and the belt will walk all the way up the pully. Let off the throttle and back on again and it will only go to maybe halfway and thats a very slow walking speed when in gear. Almost bairly moving. Not sure if that extra information will give and idea as to what is ailing it. Ill have to get to Napa in town in a few days and see if they have that spark checker you mentioned. My way was just grounding the plug to the manifold.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman377 View Post
With one plug wire disconnected it will barely run and past half throttle it will just be running off the starter motor. Hook both plugs back up and it fires and runs nearly instantly but the clutch will only pull the belt up half way or a little less on the pully (its in neutral so no load). After you run it the driver side of the manifold is hot enough you can't touch it but the passenger side is cold. Also with the motor cold you can have it in neutral hit the gas and the belt will walk all the way up the pully. Let off the throttle and back on again and it will only go to maybe halfway and thats a very slow walking speed when in gear. Almost bairly moving. Not sure if that extra information will give and idea as to what is ailing it. Ill have to get to Napa in town in a few days and see if they have that spark checker you mentioned. My way was just grounding the plug to the manifold.
Could you take a video of it running with sound and upload to youtube so we can see what is happening ? Post the youtube link here.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cufGkuVGoDY
Old 06-25-2020, 06:42 PM   #9
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Any ideas after seeing the video.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

It appears it is not firing correct on that one cylinder. Go to my next post
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO