lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
petero
Not Yet Wild

Default gas ezgo.no spark

Hi all
Could do with some advice .
I have a 2003 ezgo txt gas. It has always been a first time starter but the other day it just would not start. I checked the plugs and could not get a spark. checked the ignition coil and found no power coming from it. I have replaced the coil with a new one and still no spark. I tested the power to the coil and although I have a fully charged battery I am getting only 10 volts at the coil.
I am a bit stumped now. Could anyone give me some advice please.
It would be very much appreciated.think it could be the igniter but expensive if its not.
Peter o
petero is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: gas ezgo.no spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by petero View Post
Hi all
Could do with some advice .
I have a 2003 ezgo txt gas. It has always been a first time starter but the other day it just would not start. I checked the plugs and could not get a spark. checked the ignition coil and found no power coming from it. I have replaced the coil with a new one and still no spark. I tested the power to the coil and although I have a fully charged battery I am getting only 10 volts at the coil.
I am a bit stumped now. Could anyone give me some advice please.
It would be very much appreciated.think it could be the igniter but expensive if its not.
Peter o
Here is the voltage you should have if it is firing correctly.
With both wires ( red and white ) connected to + and - terminal of coil push gas pedal with meter on the red wire first. You can pull up on the wire slightly so you can get meter test leads on it. The red terminal will have around 8 volts on it when spinning it over, wires still connected to both coil terminals.
The white wire will have 11 volts plus or - a little. Engine tuning over and both wires still connected.

Now remove both those wires from coil. Put your meter lead on white wire first and again spin it over. You should see a little under battery voltage on the white one. Mine shows 11.5 volts. The red wire will show very little. 0.25 volts is what mine has .

My cart is a 2003 pre mci and it runs perfect.

Now if you got a test light connect it to both wires while still connected to coil. The test light should flash when you spin it over. If you remove the wires only the white wire will light the test light when you spin it over .

If these tests fail then you got to look more. Make sure the ignitor wire is connected good to solenoid ( orange and white wire ) They do get loose on occasion so make sure its tight. There is also a ground wire coming from ignitor that needs to be checked.

Check the ground on the ignitor mounting bracket. You can even take another short cable and ground it to battery post and bracket if you want.
There is no test for the ignitor other than swapping it with a known good one. Hope this helps.
I also hope I didn't confuse you.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:50 AM   #3
petero
Not Yet Wild

Hi trig123
First thank you for the reply
I have followed your instructions and repeated them to be sure. Here are my reading.
With both wires connected to the coil
RED =9.27 v
WHITE =0.62 v
With both wires removed from the coil
RED = 11.24v
WHITE = 0.24v
Test light over both terminals with wires connected NO LIGHT
Test ligjht with wires disconnected
WHITE = NO LIGHT
RED = LIGHT
Old 07-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I would be looking good at the grounds. Also see if you can get a tester like the one I show. Best money every spent when working on one of these carts. Leave one spark plug wire connected to spark plug in cylinder and the other one connected to tester
There was a known issue on some of these carts with the connector coming from pulser. Also check the other connectors where they plug in. I have seen the pins spread apart and not make good connection.
If you had this tester you could spin it while you wiggle these connectors and see if it fires. This tester is so easy to watch while you try and fix your issue.
If I have time today I can show you more on how to narrow this issue down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark tester.jpg (39.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
petero
Not Yet Wild

Went back to it and did all the grounds still nothing. scratched my head a bit everything seemed to be backwards to what it should be. THEN a light bulb came on. I had disconnected the 4 pin plug before to check the continuity and I had connected it the wrong way round LOL. reconnected properly and wala
all good buggy is up and running again
THank so much you for all the help

You Guys are the best
Old 07-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

It should show voltage like I posted in my post last night now.
For others that are having this problem could you take a picture of where you plugged it in the wrong way and confirm the test light now flashes and the 11.50 volts are on the white wire instead of red when disconnected.

There are many on this forum who post with this very issue. They buy new parts when all the time its something as simple as a bad or loose connection or something has been plugged in backward.
Glad you got it.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
petero
Not Yet Wild

will do. will post tomorrow as its getting a bit dull to take pics
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO