lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #1
belercous
Not Yet Wild

Default 1983 ezgo fouls plugs stupidly quick

A friend has a 1983 EZGO which gas fouls plugs after about 5 minutes. The problem has been around for a couple years, but has slowly been getting worse.

I went through the carb (floats, needle valve, open jets, shafts are tight) then replaced it with a new one. No change. New ignitor thingy. Changed coils. New plug wire. Premixed at 128:1, so it's not oil fouling. Reed valve must be working as it doesn't blow back trough carb. New top end; 120+ compression. Crank seals aren't leaking. Checked fuel pump engine to pump gasket, not leaking. Exhaust flows free. New air filter element, no intake restrictions. Blue spark, even with fouled plugs (wtf?).

The thing barely has any power & gas fouls a spark plug within 5 minutes. As gas fouled plugs cannot be saved (I've pushed too many dirt bikes home to learn this) this has been expensive for him, but now he can't even get an hour's use out of the thing. My car mechanic had the same trouble with one just like it & his wife made him sell it because it was driving him nuts. There is a reason for this, but I have no clue what it could be: there's nothing left in the system to be checked, yet something isn't right.

Any ideas?
belercous is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 ezgo fouls plugs stupidly quick

Open up the fuel pump. See if the lower diaphragm is ripped.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
belercous
Not Yet Wild

Did that. No leakage there.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I had a similar problem lately with my 85, it ended up being the fuel pump just as 'Cart Around' has suggested here. Found a cheapie online for only $17, I'd say give it a try. After all, there's only 2 ways I can think of for excessive fuel to enter the engine, carb and fuel pump pulse port......

Here's a link to a thread as to what I went through https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=168893
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
belercous
Not Yet Wild

I took the fuel pump off & there is no sign of leakage between the bottom gasket & the engine. There is no hole in the diaphragm.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Did you actually take the fuel pump apart? You can't tell if the diaphragm is tore without doing that, it's good that the pump to engine gasket/O-ring isn't leaking but that doesn't mean fuel isn't getting sucked into the crankcase directly from the pump through a bad diaphragm.......

IF that pump to engine gasket/O-ring was leaking then you'd have the opposite symptoms anyway, either no/low fuel pumping to the carb and/or a lean condition from air sucking into the crankcase...

Did you read that link I posted above? That should help you understand why we think it's the pump, you have the same (actually worse) symptoms that I had.....

Since you've had no problem replacing all those other wrong parts that weren't the problem, why not keep going and replace one more with what we believe is very well the right one? Good Luck
Old 09-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
belercous
Not Yet Wild

I took the pump apart & both of the diaphragms were good. Fuel is not getting into the engine via the pump.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Just took my pump apart to find the tear that I knew had to be there, having clear diaphragms made it harder to see. Here's a few pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 20200915_180404 (2).jpeg (145.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 20200915_180510 (2).jpeg (232.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200915_180404.jpg (134.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200915_180404 (2)_LI.jpg (549.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200916_092910.jpg (198.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
belercous
Not Yet Wild

That's the same pump. I held the bottom one (also clear) up to the light & it's good. It wasn't wet on the bottom.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #10
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Well then, pull off the exhaust at the cylinder and see if it makes a difference. Since it's got a new top end and while you're there look into the exhaust port to see if the piston has a window in the side of it, if it does it's in backwards. I really don't think either one of those are the problem but since you won't spend $20ish on a new fuel pump let's go to work lol, btw what spark plug are you using?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO