lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
ZekeU
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 2002 EZGO: No spark.. and what is this mystery wire???

Hello! My mother is 81 y.o.; my stepdad died a couple years ago and left her a 2002 EZgo gas golf cart; it is in good shape but has been sitting in the wood shed. Mom is getting on in years, and we know the day is coming soon where we will have to take away her keys to the truck. We want to get her golf cart up and running so she can still get around the local community, and up to the grocery store near the end of her dirt road driveway.

We took the golf cart out last month to clean it up and getting it running nicely. The engine is mechanically sound and we rebuilt the carb and replaced some cracked rubber tubes, but it seems to have some electrical issues. The starter cranks but there is no spark to the plugs.

I just replaced the CDI and the ignition coil.
Still no luck... we are baffled.

- Do you have any ideas what to check next?

Today, while going over it with a neighbor who has more experience with small engines, we discovered a "MYSTERY WIRE" coming from the flywheel housing!It has a cylindrical rubber fitting on the end, but we cannot locate another wire that fits into it. (See Photo)

- Does anyone have an idea what this mystery wire goes to?
- Coould this be the reason we have no spark?

Thank for the much needed guidance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGOmysterywire.jpg (195.2 KB, 0 views)
ZekeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2002 EZGO: No spark.. and what is this mystery wire???

This might help
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 89795013-564A-45E9-BE89-0F6BF8A27BF4.jpeg (228.4 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I bet it is a yellow wire. It comes from the oil sensor...has no effect on your spark issue. Do you know it ran when it was parked?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #4
ZekeU
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, it was running a little over a year ago. When we tried to get it going in March or April, it wouldn't even crank. I replaced the battery, and the CDI and ignition coil, and now it cranks dry (off the starter) but won't turn over. The plugs are clean, fresh oil and gas, but there is no spark sent thru the wires.... we're stumped.

The only other thing I can think of is that the aftermarket coil I bought thru Amazon was junk from China? Any suggestions are appreciated....
Old 10-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

You didn't by chance install the battery backward did you ? very easy to do because both cables are black. The ignitor and coil don't go bad when sitting for a long time.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Clutch should be spinning counterclockwise
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I would check battery polarity as Trig says first. then put the old igniter and coil back on for testing. those items from ebay and amazon are usually junk. The mystery wire is for an optional oil lamp and not required for the engine to run. It should be white, but sometimes it will appear to be yellow.

Go through all electrical connections and grounds to make sure there is no corrosion. Particularly the wires and connections to the coil and into the fan housing for the pulsar. If you have badly corroded plugs, cut them off and use new bullet connectors instead.

Then come back to us for more advice if you need it.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #8
ZekeU
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cartmaster, et al,

OK, I did as you suggested. Battery polarity is correct. We tested the wires all the way to the ignition coil, and those wires work and they carry current properly, but nothing comes out the terminals to feed the spark plug wires.

So I repurchased the ignition coil from another vendor here in the states... however, the coil they sent was also made in China (no surprise). Still no luck. We tested this new coil between terminals (we unscrewed the plug wires to make sure it wasn't a problem in the wires) and the multimeter showed no ohms... open line there! Is that normal? Isn't there supposed to be some sort of resistance between the two terminals feeding the plug wires?

So the wiring seems to be fine. What is this "pulsar" in the fan housing? Maybe it went bad... Do you have a part number for this pulsar? (I have the manual, but can't seem to find it on the wiring schematic.)

Thanks to ALL OF YOU helping me diagnose this. I am grateful this forum exists.... I wish I knew more about golf carts so I could help others here.

- Zeke

+++++++++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I would check battery polarity as Trig says first. then put the old igniter and coil back on for testing. those items from ebay and amazon are usually junk. The mystery wire is for an optional oil lamp and not required for the engine to run. It should be white, but sometimes it will appear to be yellow.

Go through all electrical connections and grounds to make sure there is no corrosion. Particularly the wires and connections to the coil and into the fan housing for the pulsar. If you have badly corroded plugs, cut them off and use new bullet connectors instead.

Then come back to us for more advice if you need it.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
Bou666
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

https://support.countrycat.com/posts...roubleshooting

https://support.countrycat.com/posts...service-manual

This might help

Last edited by Bou666; 10-29-2020 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Adding texte
Bou666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo gas 2002 no spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO