lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #1
ReplaysJTC
Not Yet Wild

Default One speed, WIDE OPEN!

Hello all, my '94 TXT only knows one speed, press the pedal and it just wants to GO!

Cart had been plagued by hard starting, so the valves have been adjusted, the carburetor thoroughly cleaned, new plugs & air filter.

In trying to find the problem I noticed the throttle cable was loose because the nut had backed itself off of the adjuster by the governor and disappeared... none of the linkage was moving with the pedal at all. This also meant the butterfly in the carb was staying SHUT, but still excessive speed. Replaced throttle adjuster nut and made sure the linkage was working with the pedal and now the problem is even worse... the **** thing is dangerously fast.

Have also been messing with the air mixture screw that is closest to the manifold because I could previously remove the air filter and get the cart to start... seemed like it was starving for air.

This forum has answered many questions for me but this is my first post.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
ReplaysJTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: One speed, WIDE OPEN!

The air mixture screw does nothing, Is this where the nut fell off? is the spring still there? .. pictures would help.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/atta...0&d=1287943497
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

You say a '94 TXT? To the best of my knowledge TXT's didn't start till '96. '94 was a crossover year Marathon or Medalist. Is yours a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine? The 2 stroke carb defaults to wide open and the throttle pulls it closed.
meimk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
You say a '94 TXT? To the best of my knowledge TXT's didn't start till '96. '94 was a crossover year Marathon or Medalist. Is yours a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine? The 2 stroke carb defaults to wide open and the throttle pulls it closed.
My thoughts too, but he said "valves have been adjusted and new plugs"
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #5
ReplaysJTC
Not Yet Wild

StoveBolt, the picture you shared is exactly where the nut backed itself off. Fortunately the spring and everything else held on. Sorry guys, it is a 4-stroke engine... I've heard it called a Robbin. And it is a CXT, knew it was close.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Massive air leak between the carb and head? Maybe missing throttle butterfly? Cable or linkage adjusted incorrectly? That’s probably where I would start looking but it’s impossible to tell from my house. Maybe pics or videos would help. I can’t imagine it would be anything too hard to find out
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
ReplaysJTC
Not Yet Wild

I'll check the bolts that attach the carb to the head... that sounds reasonable. I did have to remove the carb to clean it... may have accidentally left it loose. All the linkage went back on exactly as it came off, only had to pull off one small part from the carb. It's kinda hard to screw up. May shoot a video to share... Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 12-07-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
ReplaysJTC
Not Yet Wild

OK, here's a video folks... Once the cart starts, the engine races with no throttle at all. I got a rush call for work out of town, so I was in a hurry shooting the video. Thanks again for your responses.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fu6...ew?usp=sharing
Old 12-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You’ve got an issue with the linkage or cable from the governor to the carb. I didn’t see the throttle butterfly or linkage move once. I think it’s too tight and stuck wide open
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:29 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Pop the short link off the carb and see if the butterfly cam is stiff. If so, it needs to be freed off. If not make sure the carb butterfly is fully closed and try to start it again. If you can get the engine to start and run properly by moving the buttefly by hand, your issue is either as CP241 suggests, an issue with the cable or linkages, or it may just be the idle screw on the side of the carb is wound in too far. Best solution to that is to remove it as it is not required on a push pedal to start vehicle.
So, its either idle screw wound in, Butterfly jammed open either by being seized or held open by cable and linkages, or possibly as I think CP said, a massive air leak on the intake.

My money is on the butterfly wide open for some reason.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO