lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

Default Please guys. Need help 1987 ezgo running like crap

Story starts 2 years ago after coming out of storage. Cart wouldn't run unless I put fuel in the carb. Changed the fuel pump and all was good. Last fall now it my son would complain it wouldn't start. Sometimes it would go for days then suddenly nothing. Would crank forever. Put it away last fall and pulled it out after ordering a carburetor for it. Put the carb on and it ran good for a minute and then started coughing like it was getting too much fuel. Could even see fuel spitting out the air filter side. Ordered a 2nd carb figuring the $20 Amazon one was junk. Installed tonight and got the same thing. Ran good for a minute then started running like crap again. Have fuel building up in that over flow sight tube. What's going on here? I seriously don't know carburetors. I took the 2nd carb off and checked the float. It stops letting me blow through it when I raise the float up. I'm lost.
Please help. What do I try next?
hiperf2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Please guys. Need help 1987 ezgo running like crap

Find the original carb, and clean it like a surgeon. That includes taking the center stem out, and making sure every tiny hole is cleaned.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Also, dump out that old fuel and use fresh every season, make sure you treat the fuel with Stabil, the fuel will last a year in storage.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
Russellislander390
Not Yet Wild

I agree with both Cart Around and Slonomo as their advise is spot on. I might add that I had bought a cheap china carb that did not work at first. Followed suggestions in past threads and cleaned it at least four times with carb cleaner and compressed air. Did this on white paper. You would not believe the metal shavings visible even after the first couple cleanings. Has worked well since. I am a SeaFoam advocate for sure! A funnel with a strainer is not a bad idea either. Don't forget to UPDATE fuel lines to alcohol resistant type.
Russellislander390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

I can definitely give it a shot but I'm not good with carburetors. I found the spark plug bad last night and figured that was the cause. Found good spark with the new plug but does the same thing. Fuel dribbling out the intake and coming up the overflow tube. Original carb did it, cheaper $20 Amazon one does it, then I purchased a $40 one. All 3 carburetors do the same thing. For sure figured I nailed it finding bad spark.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #6
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

But then back to the original. How do I know if something is just plain worn out if I just simply clean it? Just seems I might be running in circles with a 30 year old carburetor??
Old 04-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #7
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

I also found this post.
"How do you know it's the carburetor flooding the engine?

It could very easily be a ripped diaphragm in the fuel pump. That would inject gas directly into the crankcase."

I did pull my fuel pump off here a few days ago and didn't find anything obvious. Pump is only a couple years old. Another "ebay/Amazon" purchase. =/
Old 04-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #8
hiperf2007
Not Yet Wild

So I just took the carburetor apart (the 2nd replacement) and noticed the needle seat was metal. Took the old one apart and it was rubber tipped. Cleaned everything up and swapped the needle. Fired up and ran without flooding. Spent 10 minutes starting and stopping. Might be fixed. I did notice putting the old one back together there was something flaking off in the hole where the needle slides up and down. Guessing that was causing the original problem. Then have metal to metal contact that the fuel pump was over powering the needle seat area. Thanks for the ideas. Going to finish putting it back together and try it for a bit.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO