lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

Default help finding rotational squeak

hey guys. i have a rotational squeak in the rear somewhere on my 96 CC DS and am having a hard time pinpointing it. I have replaced the rear outer axle bearings, brake shoes, brake drums, and drive motor (for an unrelated project). applying brakes does change the sound and it mostly goes away. sometimes it grinds some but I have taken the brakes apart a couple of times and cannot find any related wear or possible areas of issue. i dont want to just replace a bunch of parts needlessly and was hoping someone had some suggestions on what to check.

thanks in advance
Jason
wuntunearlybko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2021, 01:26 AM   #2
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: help finding rotational squeak

By taking the brakes apart I'm assuming you cleaned and put a little anti-seize on the adjuster and lever spring to eliminate any binding.

Have you checked the brake cable to be sure it's moving freely? And, to be sure it's still routed correctly with no bends or too much tension? This would be the next thing I would check to be sure you've covered the basics.

Hope this helps you. I hate squeaks.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

yes i definitely cleaned everything brake-wise. I had a pretty bad axle oil leak which covered everything in oil. i did not hear the squeak until after i fixed seal and cleaned everything. thats when i replaced the shoes bc they were soaked in oil. i did not apply any anti-seize though.

yes i have checked and re-adjusted the cable after replacing the shoes. i did not notice any bends or un-needed tension but i will check again this weekend.

thanks for the help so far
Jason
Old 06-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Are the new brake shoes some made in china cheapies?
Are your lug nuts tight?
Leaf spring u-bolts are tight?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:32 PM   #5
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

yes they are cheapies from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0744CCB6J...DDT_E_DDE_dt_1

yes lugs are all tight

yes leaf spring bolts are tight
Old 06-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ouch = Cheap brakes. Same for cheap drum. Not a good combo. The specs on these are likely not good and causing the issue.

Also, are you sure brakes are installed correctly? Just want to be sure. This link may help:
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...t=82320&page=2

Why was it necessary to replace the drum? Was it badly pitted or cracked? If not, very fine sandpaper can smooth out slight irregularities in the interior of the old drum.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Using great care so you don't end up with a "You tube" moment, Try removing
or leaving the drums off and take a safe ride, obviously, don't use the brakes but need to determine if the noise is brake or bearing related.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Using great care so you don't end up with a "You tube" moment, Try removing
or leaving the drums off and take a safe ride, obviously, don't use the brakes but need to determine if the noise is brake or bearing related.
On a series cart? Not something I would recommend.

Remove the drums, pull the shoes out with a screwdriver or pick and lubricate the contact points where they meet the backing plate. The bent tabs at either end and the middle of the shoe.
Lubricate the brake levers as well.
I like Lithium grease for the lever. Anti-seize works fairly well for the shoes.

The cheapo brakes don't help anything, but greasing the contact points is a must. Cheap drums can be way out of round and cause the shoes to have to walk back and forth every revolution of the wheel, and will cause the shoes to squeak against the backing plate. Especially if there's no grease on them.
Try that, if it helps, order new drums that are better quality.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #9
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks everyone. i will pull the brakes apart this weekend and apply some anti-seize / lithium grease to the aforementioned spots.

the shoes are admittedly cheap, i did that on purpose in case the rear continued to leak. i will replace the shoes with better quality. any recommendations?

the drums seem to be high quality, i bought them from Performance Plus Carts (link). i replaced the drums bc one side was slightly bent/out of round.

lol if i had a decent, wide open place to ride where i didnt need brakes i would chance the no shoes/drums but i have to use brakes going down the driveway and it would not end well.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:17 PM   #10
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

ok guys, i finally had a chance to tear into the golf cart this weekend. i still had the old drums so i swapped them on. also, i made darn sure the shoes are in the correct direction. and lastly, i added some anti-seize to each of the contact point where the shoes touch the backing plate on both sides. I put everything back together and i still hear the noise.

at first i described it as a squeak, however, i need to re-describe it as more of a creak. its almost like a spring under tension kind of sound. i was pulling out of the shop yesterday very slowly and heard it and decided to change my description.

any other ideas?

EDIT: i found a couple of videos i made a while ago when i first started looking into it. let me know if you can get to the video.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UbSvZ2rrgsLB69eu8

Jason
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car