lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Battery Acid on Garage Floor ... AGAIN !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewvegas View Post
I bought the cart used about a month ago. The guy said the batteries were replaced in 2006. I'm not sure I believe him. I looked all around the battery case and couldn't find a date stamped. I read on another thread to check the post, which I will do tonight. I noticed that the charger now stops at around 15 (volts?) on the charger. It used to go down to zero.

Its not volts its amps. Check all your connections real good. A bad connection will cause the charger to act like that.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #12
Katshot
Getting Wild

As long as the plates are covered, you're good. Filling the cells prior to charging increases the chances of over-flowing since the electrolyte expands during the charging process.
Katshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #13
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Somewhere on one of the forums I remember seeing the Trojan Battery User guide. That might help you. If you can't find it let me know I will e-mail it to you.
bnall05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you add water to a battery after you have completed your charge cycle you are diluting the acid with plain water and therefore reducing its concentration level. That reduces the SOC. A battery that has water in it is dead and will freeze just like any other water.

If you boil fluid out of the cells and replace the lost fluid with water you are slowly killing the battery. The fully charged specific gravity will become lower and lower as you dilute the acid with straight water.

A properly designed and operating charger will not boil water out on the floor when the cells are filled to the manufacturers recommended level. My Total Charge III charger that came with my Marathon will boil water onto the floor. It is operating properly for how it is designed but the design is lousy. My replacement Delta QuiQ 48 will not. At the end of its charge cycle it will bubble the cells for a very short time for desulphation. Bubble not boil.

The older design chargers are battery killers. They don't monitor SOC so they keep shoving amps at a high voltage into the batteries after they are fully charged and those excess amps are turned into heat. That is what makes the mess.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
Katshot
Getting Wild

Electrolyte in a fully charged battery is only approx. 36% sulfuric acid by weight (approx. 25% by volume). Unless you are removing a large amount of the electrolyte, and replacing it with water (when fully charged), you have little to worry about with respect to "diluting" it.
Beyond that, I don't think I've ever read anything from a battery manufacturer where they suggest adding water to a battery BEFORE charging unless the plates are exposed. And even then, they only suggest adding just enough to cover the plates.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
iaefebs
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Sounds pretty clear...

Fill them to just above the plates before charging, about a 1/4 inch is fine. Then, after fully charging fill them the rest of the way....to the manufacturers full level. Does that help?
I knew what you meant. I just wasn't sure the OP would.
iaefebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
Katshot
Getting Wild

Also, forgot to mention that another reason for adding water AFTER charging is that some water will usually boil off during the charging process. Another reason to not worry about this procedure diluting the electrolyte.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
afousek
Not Yet Wild

Anyone know of something good to use to get battery acid off of the garage floor/cement, etc.?
afousek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Baking soda will stop the acid and then wash it up

ROADY has cooties!
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Also When You Charge Batteries You Are Putting Heat In Them,its Just Like Boiling Water On The Stove. I Like To Tell Folks To Put A Rubber Mat Under The Car Or Some Plastic. Dont Use Cardboard Or A Rug Because It Will Go Through It.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO