lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EzGo 36 to 48v

I have been reading more old threads today and it has my cap thinking more mods (Know the feeling?)

I have a 97 TXT non dcs 36v, 25" tires,has stock motor and added Alltrax 400amp AXE 4845 ITS, its capable (I now know) of going up to 48volts. It has a White Rodgers 36v #70-120224-5 solenoid upgrade.

More torque to equal out these big tires and bang for the buck: It's time for new batteries and now I'm thinking I might with 8 volts to 48v system and up my power a little. My question is: To upgrade to 48v; I have seen several say their 36v soleniod held up to it, do you all think this one would for a while? Anything else I need besides a new charger? How does the 8v run time compare to the 6v's? Think I should I new 6's now and add 2 extras in the side and bag pocket? or does 48v from 8v help enough to equal out the run time difference from 36v from 6v?

Is there much demand for my 36v Power-Wise stock charger to sell or trade ? It has a new updated board in it that they say is not susceptible to moisture like the old ones. Anyone got a used 48v charger for sale?

Thanks for your help dudes: I appreciate this site because you guys obviously all love carts like me, they bridge the 4 wheeler to pickup gap perfectly.
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EzGo 36 to 48v

The solenoid trick works well as long as you understand the limitations. You must only have 36v on the primary side or it will fry in short order. Running 25's I would not try it on a standard duty solenoid. Go straight to a WR HD 48v unit and don't look back.

As for the battery setup, 8-6v cells will travel farther than 6-8v cells. Cost may be the same. 12v accessories can still be tapped from the pack as before when using the 6v cells. Not so with 8v cells, so add another $75 for another deep cycle battery, and another $60 for a 12v smart charger.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
tunnelmike
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Not to hijack , but how does 6-8's vs 6-6's compair in runtime ? Mike
tunnelmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelmike View Post
Not to hijack , but how does 6-8's vs 6-6's compair in runtime ? Mike
THe more lead you have the amps you can store..... the more amps you have stored the longer your 'runtime' will be....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

I have 2 westerns[ezgo] converted to 48v still using the 36v solenoid after 2 yrs with no problems. 6-8volts is much better then 8-6volts in weight savings alone + you spend less money on batteries, you will have a little more run time with 6volts. I just sold a 36v charger for $125 and a 48v for $175, look on e-bay for chargers. kirk
kirkroediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey, I need to know how to wire the #9356 48v solenoid????? can't find anything on it on the net.

This was what they gave me when I asked for the 48v heavy duty and talked to the guy about the upgrades; I assumed it would be or was the WR but the only marking on it were 9356. I already have the long Alltrax 400 ITS so its 48v good; I just need to wire the solenoid.

I needed and sprung $$ for new batteries so I went with 8 volts and got the 48v solenoid. The wife threw her rings in the yard and went to her mothers so I have time to work on my cart today. I guess she didn't appreciate the humor of doing that right before Christmas. Doesn't care much about the tax credit/deduction for doing the purchase before the end of the year.

Anyone have a metal detector that picks up on gold?
Old 12-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Never mind on the solenoid; I called the guy and he says it doesnt matter which sides are which on it.

Does anyone know where you can find that DB9 pin to RS232 adapter thats needed to reprogram my Alltrax with the laptop? I'm going to Radio Shack to see if they have it.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Bond,

FYI Alltrax sets the controllers at maximum amps and maximum torque when shipped.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I already had the Alltrax on for about 3 yrs; they programmed it at the shop when it was put on then; I reprogrammed it today for 48v.

Does anyone know what some of the other items on the Controller Pro program are for? like Throttle up rate, Throttle down rate, Brake current? is that one for DCS and PDS?

I can't get the Monitor to work right, it opens and saves a wordpad document but doesn't store anything on it.??
Old 12-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The 48v torque is sweeeeeeeeeeeeet !!!!!
I am glad I sprung the $$ and did the upgrade...now if I can just get the old lady to come back home....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO