lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
daveM
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36 to 42 is it worth it?

Hi all, weighing out the +/- expense of adding one 6V t-145 and a new 42V charger. The cart is a 04 PDS 2+2 Lifted w/23". I already put in 4 gauge wires, dcs500pds, and 200 amp solenoid. The batts are brand new as the rest of the goodies. That said, I live on a BIG hill & want more torque (it's plenty fast). The extra space on the drivers side is lonely and I don't want anything in the back.
So is it worth another ~$700?
Thanks,
Dave (another new guy)
daveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36 to 42 is it worth it?

You will see some improvement (12-15%) but, in my mind it is not worth $700 or the effort... Go to 48v and you will see a 25-30% increase in hill climbing ability.... for about the same costs.

I'm sure others will have different opinions and experience
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
daveM
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty, I realy don't want to stick that last battery in the back, do you have a better place to stick it? I could stick it in the place of the controler set up, but then have to move the heat sink somewhere?Sugestions. Lastly will I need anything else other than 2 more batterys, 48 Sol, and 48 Charger?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Use 6-8 volts in place of your existing batteries and add a 12v under driver side seat for accessories. If you don't need or want to buy all new batteries right now you might want to tie in a 12v "boost" just to switch on for hills. I saw a diagram Scotty or somebody put on here for that. I might try it with my 48v just to see how it does.
bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Bond,

What controller do you have that you can add 12v more to a 48v system?

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
daveM
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

the boost looks interesting, I think I'm moving towards the 48 side. Now, who has ideas about a location in moving the controler/heat sink. The 6 36V T-145 batterys are only 45 days old. I thought the batterys, controler, 4g wire, and HD solenoid; would take care of it. Worse case I have to put 1 batt in the back.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #7
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm going on memory, but it's basically an extra 12v wired from a line battery with its own 12v switched solenoid then straight to the f/r terminal that powers to the motor. The 12v does not go into the controller or the line solenoid but has its own switch for short term "boost" when you need it. I think it can be wired through the pedal too...I remember someone commenting about having it wired to a push button.

Do a search for "boost" and find that thread I saw where there was a digram of how to wire it in.

I'm getting the stuff together to try one on mine now. Another 12v in tough spots could be handy.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
bond007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a copy of that diagram; I think it came from Roady.....I need to find out what diode to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roady89%20boost.jpg (28.3 KB, 32 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO