lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #31
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: vertical shaft conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrlr View Post
sho, i think they are rated even lower 600 rpm comes to mind
They might be, but are built like bricks. May not be that easy to hook up though...but if you had one its an idea. I'm just going to buy a clone, but $20 is not a bad deal at all to use a vertical.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #32
oddpowers
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Has a this project been started yet? Just curious.....
oddpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #33
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just started. Figuring out the drive system. Got a 90 degree gearbox from a Honda 250 Sx looks pretty strong. May have to mount the engine a little below the frame for seat clearance issues. Lift kit should take care of any drive componets below the frame though. Drive system? A jackshaft like a snowmobile, direct chain drive? Any suggestions welcome!
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #34
oddpowers
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I dont know if it can be done, but it would be cool if you could mount the clutchs on the engine and gear box under the engine in a water tite encloser, then chain drive from other end of gear box to rear end.
oddpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #35
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

The 17hp Briggs will probably max out at 3600rpm. Even using a 1:1 ratio gearbox, you will lose significant power through the gearbox. If you want more speed out of the cart, you will have to increase the gearbox ratio, which will further add to the torque loss through the gearbox. If you go to a 2:1 gearbox, torque will be cut in half, while horsepower stays the same(minus the gearbox loss). Changing gear ratios has a direct affect on torque(which is what you need for a rotating mass), but no affect on horsepower. Still, with the power losses through the new drivetrain, you will see little to no advantage over a stock setup, and have a much more complicated setup
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #36
rib33024

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #37
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdo2 View Post
Just started. Figuring out the drive system. Got a 90 degree gearbox from a Honda 250 Sx looks pretty strong. May have to mount the engine a little below the frame for seat clearance issues. Lift kit should take care of any drive componets below the frame though. Drive system? A jackshaft like a snowmobile, direct chain drive? Any suggestions welcome!
I've thought about retrofitting a 250SX engine & transaxle into the back of a cart. Found a few guys who have done it & loved it. One guy used a chain drive in an old EZGo 2 stroke. The SX trans has the reverse.
The other used the SX rear diff & shaft drive. This way seems the most bullet proof to me. You'd have to use like 2" wheel spacers, and add a 2nd shock in the rear.

I test rode a 250SX this weekend. The thing was quick, easily pulled wheelies. I think it would push a cart along 2 or 3 times as quick as the stock running gear does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250SXengine87EZGo2.jpg (114.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6861.JPG (81.9 KB, 33 views)
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #38
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks you guys, you have me thinking in a whole other direction now. Hey marathon man thanks I never gave your points any concern. RIB's idea seems plausable, keep you posted
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #39
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Removing or modifing the gov on the engine will raise your rpm. Just an unrestricted exhaust and intake will boost HP 1 or 2 hp with rejetting the carb.Those mods alone will offset most of the looses of the gearbox. Lawn mower racers use these engines for racing.Tho this isn't an ideal engine for a golf cart. I still see no reason to give up. Not sure the rear axle would work, First for lubing and also clutch mounting,because the sheeves have to move together in the same direction to stay in aline.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha