lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Voltage drop under load

I am looking at a new motor from Plum Quick for speed, around 6000 - 6500 RPM. I am concerned about load factor and voltage drop.

I have 8 new T105 batteries (48v) and they still need a few more cycles to get to full capacity.

I just did a locked rotor test with the pack starting at 50.8 volts (not full charge). With a 50A draw, it was 47.8 volts and with a 200A draw, it was 42.8. Thoughts?

The T105 is rated at 115 minutes @ 75A or a 5 hr. rate of 185AH.

I saw a tread were Scotty talked about load testing and the voltage staying 5.9 - 6.0. That would mean that I should not have dropped below 47.2 (assuming a full charge).
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Voltage drop under load

The voltage readings are close enough.
From a real life test, I just put brand new batteries in my cart a few months ago.
My voltage starts at 51.5v, drops to about 43.5v at full throttle on hard surface and levels out to about 48v/49v while cruising at full throttle.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
wizardket
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage drop under load

I have sent a request to Trojan Batteries:

Quote:
I have a 48 volt battery pack in my golf cart. At this point I drive around for a few minutes then back in the garage. My batteries are still new and not totally broke in. I have an on-board ProTec charger and it runs through has a 4 hour "Condition" cycle (60v) each time it is plugged in. I understand that it is not a problem if it is left on the charger long term as it switches to a "Float" mode (I think 54v). But what about the heavy Condition cycle if only driven for a few minutes? I have a DVM hooked up full time to see state of charge. Second, I am looking at a new motor speed, around 6000 - 6500 RPM. I am concerned about load factor and voltage drop. I have a 480Amp controller. I just did a locked rotor test with the pack starting at 50.8 volts (not full charge). With a 50A draw, it was 47.8 volts and with a 200A draw, it was 42.8. Is this to be expected and will it improve as they break in? I am converting this cart to street legal for CA with a design speed of around 30 MPH.
Below is Trojan Battery's response:
Quote:
It sounds like your batteries are acting as expected. As you mentioned, they are still brand new and will exhibit improved performance over the first 75 or so cycles. Our recommendation regarding recharging your batteries is to recharge after 1 round of golf or 5 miles / 30 minutes of driving. This gives the batteries a chance to be discharged to some degree before they are fully charged by the charger. Thanks.
wizardket is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO