lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Start of a rear diff problem?

Got on my cart yesterday and felt something catching. I thought it may have been something with the brakes. Jacked up the rear and the brakes looked fine. I spun one of the hubs by hand, fine. Spun the other and it stuck to the point where I could not spin it without putting a prybar through the studs. I was able to move it past the sticking point, next rotation same thing.

I noticed a grease fitting next to the diff housing. I tried to grease it and proceeded to break it off. I saw the drain plug on the diff but could not figure out where to fill it once drained so I left it alone.

Not knowing the best approach at that time, I put the wheels back on and took it for a ride. Catch point was gone with just a very slight noise, then no noise.

Is it just a matter of time before the rear diff locks up on me? Anything I can do to prevent or prolone any problems?
JMGreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Start of a rear diff problem?

Sounds like it needs attention. The drain plug is the fill hole and level also. so go ahead and see if it has enough 30wt oil in it....
The rotation problem is likely a bearing problem. Outer axle bearings are rather simple to replace.
I would get a pr of bearings and seals and just change them out and hope that was it..... otherwise there is a larger ball bearing on the inner end of the bearing
Attached Images
File Type: png Ezgo Axle & Hub.png (61.6 KB, 26 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty, will be in touch soon.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
JMGreco
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Turns out I had no rear diff problem, just a problem with the guy who installed my rear disc brakes (me). One of the bolts on the mounting brakets was loose and catching on the brake assembly. First diagnostic attempt was half assed, spent more time on the second attempt and found a simple problem. Lessen learned. Thanks for your help on the phone Scotty as always.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you can find time go back and put lock-tite on all those mounting nuts & bolts...
I'm glad you didn't have a bigger problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

one thing i have learned over the years is you have to take your time when working on these boogers................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO