lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #31
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Carryall I - No go, no click

From my reading I thought the OBC usually failed by preventing the cart from moving? Does it also fail in this manner as well?

This is the brand new OBC, actually the 2nd of two brand new OBC's that were installed due to a dealer who was troubleshooting incorrectly....
delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #32
Doc
Gone Wild

Maybe check the relay in the charger? I had these exact same problems and after throwing all kinds of money at OBC's, solenoids, controllers, etc it turned out to be a bad relay in the starter. Cost something like 14 bucks vs the hundreds that I just spent!
Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #33
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you can try your charger on another cart that would tell us something................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #34
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, I'm not sure I even have a problem....

What I do notice is this. The batteries aren't up to "full charge"; but they aren't new either, about 15 months old. Not good batteries either, crappy Exides from Sam's Club.

Charger will charge for 45 sec, does the 3 sec pause, resumes charging at 4amps, stops after a short period.

Pack voltage is just shy of 50v (like 49.8 to 49.9v)

The only odd thing is, the cart will move while charging, which I thought it shouldn't do. But I don't remember if it used to do this. (this used to be my cart a decade ago, it was in storage for 5 years, then on loan to the in-laws for the past 2. They brought it back when it began acting up).
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #35
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

ok so start fresh.....go over the batteries, test, load test and check cells with hydrometer.....make sure all connections are clean and tight.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #36
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by delagem View Post
Well, I'm not sure I even have a problem....

What I do notice is this. The batteries aren't up to "full charge"; but they aren't new either, about 15 months old. Not good batteries either, crappy Exides from Sam's Club.

Charger will charge for 45 sec, does the 3 sec pause, resumes charging at 4amps, stops after a short period.

Pack voltage is just shy of 50v (like 49.8 to 49.9v)

The only odd thing is, the cart will move while charging, which I thought it shouldn't do. But I don't remember if it used to do this. (this used to be my cart a decade ago, it was in storage for 5 years, then on loan to the in-laws for the past 2. They brought it back when it began acting up).
from what i've noticed, the OBC seems to require a few charge/discharge cycles to recalibrate itself after having the power removed. try running the cart for 10 minutes or so then plugging it back in and leaving it until it finishes. rinse & repeat.

have you changed the battery in your meter recently? have you checked it against another meter? have you measured each battery individually?

speaking of meters... that old simpson you posted a few pages back is pretty dope! check out what i did with my old 77
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluke_murdered_out.jpg (137.8 KB, 4 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #37
golfcartmechanic
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Sometimes the amp meters on the chargers mess up. I would check while it's charging to see what's going on. I think they charge around 52 volts or so.
golfcartmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #38
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Whoops, sorry, I never updated this thread. I started a new thread when I discovered this problem.

The problem turned out to be an aftermarket charger, that completely ignored the OBC and used it's own microprocessor to determine charging. And during one of my in-law's ill-advised changes of the OBC (there were two!), they must have left off a wire from the charging port to battery 1 ground.

This wire, fitted when the new charger was purchased, lets the charger see true pack voltage. Leaving it off confused the new charger, which is why it wasn't charging.

Thanks anyways for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car