lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default How to bypass an unusual brand of charger?

Hi, I'm starting a new thread since this problem has taken a serious right turn!

My cart is running fine, but my batteries are low and the charger won't take them any higher.

I did some reading here, and tried the OBC reset, and then the "grey wire jumper", where you jump the grey wire from the charge socket to ground. Neither made any difference.

So, I figured I'd try jumping inside the charger, as I have also seen done from time to time.

Well, this charger is unlike any I've seen before! I bought it 10 years ago, from some clown on the internet. Don't remember who.

If you look at these photos, obviously the OBC is in no way involved in this charger, since there are only 2 wires going to the cart!

The pack voltage on 2 different voltmeters never gets above 49.9v. Range seems fairly limited, at maybe 6 miles. Batteries are 15 month old, but crappy Energizer batteries from Sams Club.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to remedy this, outside of buying a new charger? Or even how to simply bypass the brain in the charger?

delagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How to bypass an unusual brand of charger?

Oh, and just a quick note for those who haven't read the previous thread.

Driving the cart for a bit, and the charge light starts blinking. So I plug it in, and it goes to 16 amps for 50 sec, stops for 3 sec, and then resumes at maybe 4-5 amps. But then, within 15-20 minutes, it stops, and seems to think it's done charging. Yet pack voltage never even breaks 50v.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i know one thing thats a charger that lvssales sells......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is a stand-alone 36 and 48v charger... sounds to me like it needs a new circuit board.... contact The place Tom mentioned.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i have sold maybe 12 or 14 of them with 0 issues in the past 8 years so i never had one apart............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since it doesn't use the OBC to regulate charging, do you know how it does this? I'm guessing voltage?

I've tried unhooking various wires, and even pulled the IC chip, nothing tricks it into constantly charging....
Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

first, have you measured the voltages of each battery?

it likely uses a comparator to measure voltage. looks like the charger has spent some time outdoors?? if the value of one or more components in the comparator/adc circuit has shifted, the calibration would likely shift with it. can you get a closeup of the board?
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

the other thing i would look for is cold or dry solder joints on the bottom side of the board. often this requires a loupe to find as the crack in dry joint can be very subtle. what happens is that a circuit may work fine at ambient temps but as the component or its neighbors heat up, the joint expands and breaks the connection.

photo source 1
photo source 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Cold_solder_joint2.jpg (10.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dry-joint_small.jpg (9.9 KB, 2 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That is a stand-alone 36 and 48v charger... sounds to me like it needs a new circuit board.... contact The place Tom mentioned.
That never seems to go well for that particular vendor, LOL. But hey, maybe as long as you're spending more money with them they will service you well.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
delagem
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
That never seems to go well for that particular vendor, LOL. But hey, maybe as long as you're spending more money with them they will service you well.
I'm sorry, is there some inside joke about LVS?

I do believe LVS was indeed who I purchased this charger and service manual from, 10 years ago.

I'm alternately laughing and crying about all the people who suggest replacing the OBC for both me, and possibly anyone else, with this model charger, over the years, when it did absolutely nothing!

Oh well, glad I didn't get burned by the "parts swapping" bug!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car