lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Boh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Lifting a 2007 E Z GO 36V

Hello,

New cart owner here with a question about putting a lift kit on my 2007 E Z Go 36V. It is a Sepex cart and slows down going downhill. I would like to put a lift kit on this cart as we will be using it on both paved and unpaved roads at our campground. If I understand correctly, Regen carts can overheat components when creeping along as we would be doing while off road. Also, the same thing would happen with the addition of bigger tires. How do I overcome this problem (if I am correct)? Can the regen be reprogrammed to not come on or do I have to install a different controller? It does very well going uphill and easily outpaces my 2003 CC resistor cart. I don't want to go off half cocked and purchase a lift kit and tires if there is something I need to do before I invest that money. You expertise and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Boh
Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lifting a 2007 E Z GO 36V

Creeping with big tires will produce excess heat in any elec. motor. The problem is more pronounced in Sepex motors, which the pds is.
The resistor cart you have is also subject to heat damage at extended low speeds.
Series motors are slower to build heat at partial throttle and generally more forgiving of low speed loads.
You can make a 'campground get around' from your PDS cart if you stay modest with the tire size and keep the creeping to a minimum. Upgrade the controller package and cable size.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Cart54
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

What MPH is considered creeping?
Cart54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Boh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply Scottyb. Would upgrading the cables to a 10 pc 4 gauge set be a good first step? What would it take to upgrade the controller? Once those 2 things are done, what would be a good kit for a modest lift (3" maybe) and a good tire size to go with. I see a lot of the carts running around with the aggressive lugs on the tires but we arn't running in the mud here. Mostly paved roads and dirt trails with some loose but mostly packed dirt and rocks. Again, good advice and help is greatly appreciated.

Boh
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I put a 6" lift on mine not to run tall tires but to get the chassis off the ground. I run a 20" tire which is only 2" larger or 1" taller than stock. I have upgraded to 4g cables but still use the stock controller for now. Don't stall the cart or run real slow for a long time and you should be OK. Mine works harder going on and off the trailer than it does at the campground. I do trail ride it but we vary the speed. To date I have had no issue with it at all. If I go slow for a few minutes then I try and make sure I have it in Freedom or all-terrain mode so it doesn't use the regen. That can add heat. I do run Mild and Steep hill at times but that's more for the breaking effect than anything else. If we have passengers then the regen helps stop it.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Boh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Spawn,

Thanks for the reply. There is really no need for me to get too outrageous with this cart as my wife will be the main driver of it. I'm thinking that the upgrade to the 4ga wires will be a good start. I just saw something called an Electric Freedom Chip that is suppose to increase speed and shut off the motor braking. Any thoughts on this? It plugs into the speed controller. I also looked at a 5" drop axle lift and 10" wheels with 22" desert tread tires. Those upgrades will probably be all I need right now unless the wife really wants to go!!!. Looks like I will get the 2003 CC with resistor. Will look to do minor improvements this years as I will be needing new batteries for it soon. Thinking of adding 2 additional 6V to make it a 48V system. I can see that this could get addictive.

Boh
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I used the freedom chip to make a universal chip. I put a rotatory switch on it and can select all 4 modes at will. If you can solder and have a basic understanding of DC current you can make it. You could use 2 flip switches as well. Look at the charts in the stickies and you will see its just a matter of jumpers for the 4 modes and a flip of the run / tow. I got a few of the Freedom chips to make some up just havent got around to it.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #8
Boh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the information Spawn. I also read your E Z GO PDS Build. Very nice and along the lines of what I want to do. Just widh I could paint also.

Boh
Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That's my Spring Mission, Tear the body off and do a paint job. Wheels and tires are also next to compliment the lift.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I second the freadom speed "chip". I'm a flat lander, so it works great for me, 5 bucks for 5 mph...those are the cheapest mph's on the planet! (check ebay)

Check your cables from the controller to the motor, mine (2008 PDS) are 4 AWG already (dated 2007 so they seem to be original), everything else is 6, so I only needed the 7 cable set to go 4 AWG all the way around. I already had an extra 4 AWG to use for the solenoid from my mis matched set of 4 and 6 on the batteries...
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO