lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Santacruzslick
Getting Wild

Default Re: Vin number

Yea the folks at the Palmetto regional DMV did not make it a very easy process nor did they seem to know what they were doing. Those of you on the east coast seem to have a much more knowledgeable group of people at the inspection office.
Santacruzslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
medney
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I'm in North Carolina and just insured mine with just the serial - no problem.

P.S. For a cart to be street legal (secondary roads only) in South Carolina all you have to do is take $5.00 and proof of insurance on the cart to the SC DMV and they will give you an idefinite permit.
medney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How do you "get" a VIN number? It is required in my state (LA) but was told that since it does not have one, I am out of luck? My DMV said even if I went all the way with the DOT windsheild, windshield wiper, seat belts, etc... that I am still no good with out a manufacturer issued VIN.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
snoop911
Gone Wild

Club Car

thats weird I live in Miami,Florida and I just got mine
so how does a custom built car get titled in L.A. it has to be possible since they do not come with a actual VIN does that sound right ??????
snoop911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That sounds right. There is also a way to get a licence plate on a "home made" trailer, time for more research, and by research, I mean NOT asking the disgruntled, overpaid, under-educated DMV worker.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

I got mine street legal and with a DMV vin#... but my DMV vin# is not 16 or 17 digits..., it's a FLA12345 assigned number

It shows as an assembled from parts vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1001a.jpg (201.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Title to LSV.jpg (256.8 KB, 12 views)
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
snoop911
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mine has a Vin# becasue they considered it or registered it a LSV (Low Speed Vehicle)
Is yours considered the same or is it called something different ?????
snoop911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop911 View Post
Mine has a Vin# becasue they considered it or registered it a LSV (Low Speed Vehicle)
Is yours considered the same or is it called something different ?????
Look at my title in the post above yours... it shows as an LSV
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
How do you "get" a VIN number? It is required in my state (LA) but was told that since it does not have one, I am out of luck? My DMV said even if I went all the way with the DOT windsheild, windshield wiper, seat belts, etc... that I am still no good with out a manufacturer issued VIN.
Illinois has the same restriction. Unless it was ORIGINALLY MANUFACTURED as a LSV or NEV and has a 17 digit VIN from the MANUFACTURER, it WILL NOT be registered and plated. We as hobbyists are SOL on this issue.

You COULD get it classified as a home-built automobile, but that required safety list far exceeds anything you would want to do to a cart. There is also the option of personally becoming the manufacturer of your converted cart, but that costs big $$$ and is full of red tape.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #20
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

No VIN in Michigan, however:

"TITLING AND REGISTERING GOLF CARTS
S ome golf cart owners ask how they may title and register their golf cart for on-road use. While the
Michigan Vehicle Code does not address titling and registration of golf carts, it does mandate the
equipment required for vehicles to be street legal. For a golf cart to be street legal, it must be upgraded
to have all of the equipment listed on the TR-54 Vehicle Inspection form for 4-wheel vehicles including
low beam headlights, high beam headlights, tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, windshield, windshield
wipers, bumpers, seat belts, horn, mirrors, etc.
While owners can upgrade golf carts for on-road use, it is not recommended due to safety issues.
Manufacturers of golf carts advise their units are not designed and constructed for operation on streets
and highways.
Golf carts upgraded for=2 0road use must be titled as Assembled using the assembled vehicle titling
process. For liability reasons, golf cart manufacturers do not want these titled under the manufacturer’s
name. The Make will always be “Assembled.”
A golf cart can be titled as a Low Speed Vehicle with “Low Speed” as the body style if the top speed is
25 mph or less. Otherwise, the unit is titled as a regular vehicle with “Roadster” as the body style."
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car