lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Centering Kit = half battery life

I am thinking it will, my original motor was frozen to the shaft, so when I put this one on I liberally lubed it with anti-seize compound, the hi-temp brake grease is WAY thicker than the anti-seize and I am thinking the motor is not going to get as hot brakes on a real automobile so I think I may be good to go. My kid took the cart to school today and we'll see how the battery life is but right now the motor is quiet.

To give you an idea, she could drive to high school and back, about a 18-20 min drive each way and burn 2 bars.... since the spring, she was burning 5-6 bars and the motor was quite warm.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, strange today there shows no improvement in the battery life.... can't figure out what would have changed over night from simply putting in the centering kit. Verified brakes are not dragging at all. Looks like I am going to have to test all of the batteries.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry to hear your trouble. Will be interesting to see your voltages.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I am both pleased and pissed all at the exact same time.....

So after the cart is done charging I go to test my batteries, I have both a standard state of charge meter and a Datel (aka ScottyB) meter both tied to the same wires. Normally when my cart is done charging it's in the 54-53 range and settles at 51.2 or so.

So right after the charge the meter was showing 50.4 and the bar was full, but knowing my cart, and the fact that the numbers are dropping off rapidly I figured I had a bad battery or something so I set in to test them.... I have a 5 amp fuse in line with the meters, as I go to start testing the fuse seems a little loose, watching the meter as I wiggled the fuse I see the voltage drop from 50.4 to 54.1 instantly, i was like WTF. So i did it again... Well, long story short, the fuse was loose giving me bad readings..... I sure up the connection and sure enough the datel goes to 54.1, I check this with my Fluke, and it matches 54.1... I then test all of the batteries and they are all perfect, holding load, no issues with specific gravity....

SO I am pleased, that I don't have a battery problem and that I only had a loose connection, I am pissed because there was probably nothing wrong with the motor and center spring kit and now I F'd up the spring trying to fix a non-problem, so I guess i will wait till the grease wears out and it starts to chatter and i will spend the money on another kit.

Ugh...
Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
Well I am both pleased and pissed all at the exact same time.....

So after the cart is done charging I go to test my batteries, I have both a standard state of charge meter and a Datel (aka ScottyB) meter both tied to the same wires. Normally when my cart is done charging it's in the 54-53 range and settles at 51.2 or so.

So right after the charge the meter was showing 50.4 and the bar was full, but knowing my cart, and the fact that the numbers are dropping off rapidly I figured I had a bad battery or something so I set in to test them.... I have a 5 amp fuse in line with the meters, as I go to start testing the fuse seems a little loose, watching the meter as I wiggled the fuse I see the voltage drop from 50.4 to 54.1 instantly, i was like WTF. So i did it again... Well, long story short, the fuse was loose giving me bad readings..... I sure up the connection and sure enough the datel goes to 54.1, I check this with my Fluke, and it matches 54.1... I then test all of the batteries and they are all perfect, holding load, no issues with specific gravity....

SO I am pleased, that I don't have a battery problem and that I only had a loose connection, I am pissed because there was probably nothing wrong with the motor and center spring kit and now I F'd up the spring trying to fix a non-problem, so I guess i will wait till the grease wears out and it starts to chatter and i will spend the money on another kit.

Ugh...
Ohh, I hate when I do that... and I do. We all do now and again. FYI and anybody else on my meter you do not need a fuse of any sort... Hook it up backwards and it won't get hurt. Connect it to 199v and it won't get hurt. It's pretty much indestructible so if the fuse is giving you fits replace it with a crimp connector
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #16
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Ohh, I hate when I do that... and I do. We all do now and again. FYI and anybody else on my meter you do not need a fuse of any sort... Hook it up backwards and it won't get hurt. Connect it to 199v and it won't get hurt. It's pretty much indestructible so if the fuse is giving you fits replace it with a crimp connector
Yep boner move! As far as the fuse... just my preference, I know it does not need a fuse, I just like it so I don't accidently short the wires when working on the dash or taking things apart.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Glad you got it sorted out!

Now, can someone explain WTH a motor centering kit is, and why would you need one?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
Yep boner move! As far as the fuse... just my preference, I know it does not need a fuse, I just like it so I don't accidently short the wires when working on the dash or taking things apart.

For what is worth, I just removed the fuse... LOL
Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Glad you got it sorted out!

Now, can someone explain WTH a motor centering kit is, and why would you need one?
On an EZGO when you typically get chatter between motor and the input shaft when the shaft wears down and you typically replace the shaft.

On a Club Car the shaft is much stouter and rarely wears out, to fix this chatter problem, if it exists, Club Car came up with a motor centering kit that takes out any slop where the motor splines meet the input shaft. It is a flat washer that goes on the shaft, then a tension spring, then another washer that has groves in it just like the motor coupler, next is a very hard rubber beveled bumper that the spring and washer put in to the end of the bevel of the coupler on the motor there by centering the motor armature splines on the input shaft and removing any slop so there is no more chatter.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Clear picture. Thanx for the info!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car