lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #21
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Centering Kit = half battery life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Glad you got it sorted out!

Now, can someone explain WTH a motor centering kit is, and why would you need one?
Thank you for asking this. I was trying to figure it out, but too embarassed to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 View Post
On an EZGO when you typically get chatter between motor and the input shaft when the shaft wears down and you typically replace the shaft.

On a Club Car the shaft is much stouter and rarely wears out, to fix this chatter problem, if it exists, Club Car came up with a motor centering kit that takes out any slop where the motor splines meet the input shaft. It is a flat washer that goes on the shaft, then a tension spring, then another washer that has groves in it just like the motor coupler, next is a very hard rubber beveled bumper that the spring and washer put in to the end of the bevel of the coupler on the motor there by centering the motor armature splines on the input shaft and removing any slop so there is no more chatter.
Excellent explanation........thanks for describing it, I had no idea. I guess I don't have any chatter, but now I'm curious what it sounds like and how old a cart has to be before you get it. I guess that cart has many miles on it?

Glad you got this solved, I know how stuff like that drives me crazy.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #22
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Ohh, I hate when I do that... and I do. We all do now and again. FYI and anybody else on my meter you do not need a fuse of any sort... Hook it up backwards and it won't get hurt. Connect it to 199v and it won't get hurt. It's pretty much indestructible so if the fuse is giving you fits replace it with a crimp connector
I can unfortunately testify to the durability of these meters and just how idiot proof they are. I will not however, unless the court compells me to do so.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
I guess I don't have any chatter, but now I'm curious what it sounds like and how old a cart has to be before you get it. I guess that cart has many miles on it?
Think it is age dependent, just depends on lots of variables, kinda sounds like marbles, or gravel, rattling, sometimes with vibration. It will present itself at the top of the transaxle where the motor mounts, some times the vibrations will be enough that you can feel in the bearings on the input shaft.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

re: Motor Centering Kit

Is the wear/slop in the motor shaft or on the input shaft of the transaxle? . . or a combination of the two?
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #25
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
re: Motor Centering Kit

Is the wear/slop in the motor shaft or on the input shaft of the transaxle? . . or a combination of the two?
EZGO it's pretty much always the input shaft on the transaxle.

Club Car, it just seems to be a slight tolerence in machining depending on the components, via an eye ball the wear is not really distinguishable on either portion.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

My daughter drove the cart to school today and back and only dropped 2 bars... so was definitively the connection to the meters.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car