lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
punchy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery math

So my battery pack is showing 40.4v a half hour after a full charge. I've read that 80% is as far as I should discharge the batteries for optimum life, which would be 32.32v? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

At this point I'm just hooking up the charger every couple of days or when I notice the performance start to lag, but I'd like to know when I should hook it up and why. I've done searches, but can't seem to find anything concrete other than the magic "80%".

I don't have a state-of-charge meter, but do have a voltmeter. :p

Possibly pertinent info:
1990 ez-go shuttle (pcx-954)
36v (6v x 6)
Original "total charge" charger
punchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Battery math

You NEVER want to run your pack down below 50% 36.31 volts. A new pack of batteries is where you don't want to run the pack below 80% charged 37.49, for the first 20 charges, then after 20 charges then never below 50% charge 36.31.

32.32 is below 10% charge

You can run your battery pack down below 10% capacity, but the number of times the pack will fully recover is reduced by the amount they are discharged. The Trojan battery company says you can get 5000 shallow discharge cycles from a battery or 700 deep discharges.
Ideally you want to stay on the shallow side and recharge often,
Keep in mind the cart is designed for golf. 100 minutes of peddle time easily does 18 holes. This is the expected run time for a stock golf cart. When you put bigger tires on them and bigger motors or increase the draw with lights, etc. run time will decrease.
I hope this helps.

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
punchy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I get all that, and that's why I'm asking. What's the formula? I guess what I'm looking for specifically is what voltage equals a 100% discharge and why?

Thanks for the chart, that's the info I need, but I'd also like to understand how it was derived. :)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
punchy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Also,according to the chart, a 10% discharge is only a 1% reduction in voltage?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy View Post
I get all that, and that's why I'm asking. What's the formula? I guess what I'm looking for specifically is what voltage equals a 100% discharge and why?

Thanks for the chart, that's the info I need, but I'd also like to understand how it was derived. :)
I've never seen a formula. My guess is that it's based on empirical observation and careful measurement of specific gravity and voltage.

Plug the percentages, specific gravity, and voltages into Excel and plot your own chart, then try and derive a formula that approximates the curves.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I don't have the formula for the SoC vs Voltage curve, if there is one. (I think it is a plot from a lot of empirical testing and then rounded between averaged data points)
Here is a set of curves for a 12V battery, but you can divide or multiply the voltages on the left side to get whatever you want the scale voltages to be.

Also, here is a chart showing projected life expectancy vs average SoC maintained.

Golf Cart Batteries should be recharged after each use, no matter how slight.

Also, to use the chart Rib posted, you have to let the batteries rest about 12 hours after the charger automatically shuts off to get an accurate SoC, or about 15 minutes after they have been used.

A 3-5 minute ride after charging, followed by a 15 minute rest, will also get you on the chart, or close to it. YMMV, so you'll have to adjust ride time up or down for your cart and battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage during discharge.JPG (60.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SoC vs Theoretical Charge cycles with Voltages.JPG (119.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
punchy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Huh. Alrighty then. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO