lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Need Advice!!! Motor Selection

I am going to be doing a 36 to 48 volt conversion on a 1991 V-Glide club Car. I will be using the Curtis PB-6, Alltrax AXE 4855 500 amp controller, HD F/R switch, HD Albright solenoid, and 2 gauge welding cable.

NOW............Motor selection? I want good top speed (at least 20 mph) but monster torque for hilly terrain (I am sick of crawling up hills, I want to motor up them!!!!!). I know there are 3 big motor places that do great work (D&D, Plum Quick, and Electric Motor Products). Can I please get some suggestions from people about what they have used or are using and your results. There are so many selections. I know I can call any of the motor companies but I like to get other gearheads opinions too.

THANKS EVERYONE!!! THIS IS A GREAT FORUM!!!!
impalass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
A.D.
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need Advice!!! Motor Selection

I would try running that set up on your 36 v motor you will be surprised at what a little more juice will do to a 36v motor
A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
kneddor
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm running GE D-380's in both my carts, one modified by PQ. ~27mph with lots of torque. The high torque motors give you more torque, but at the expense of speed. I think the D-380 is a good choice for both speed and torque.
kneddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D. View Post
I would try running that set up on your 36 v motor you will be surprised at what a little more juice will do to a 36v motor
I consistantly got 18mph ou tof the older 36v CC on 48v... I was only on 20inch tires but, they ran with the gas carts.....You could try it and see?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am considering the ES-81 type motor from D&D motor systems. I tried calling today but they were already closed. This motor is supposed to give 70% more torque and 19 mph on 36 volts with the Alltrax AXE 650 amp controller. I am going to run 48 volts so I would assume more torque and speed too.

Has anyone used this motor in a build? Does this seem a wise choice?

I would love to hear opinions on this. Please post your combination of motor and controller. I really would like to hear from everyone to help me make the best choice. I really only want to do this once.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
K-DAWG
Gone Wild

I would use a MCOR instead of a PB-6. Ask the boys at D&D about it. Good luck with your build.
K-DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I go with Scottyb and A.D Put the 48v to the 36 motor and try it. We did a conversion on a golfing buddy's CC cart and he is kicking out 18/19mph with the new trojan 875s #4 weld wire and a 400 controller. But if it's the wife's inheritance go the new motor upgrade and tires as well then you should be at 24/25.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
impalass88
Gone Wild

Club Car

KDAWG why would you use the MCOR conversion? It cost more than double and looks like a pain in the a** to hook up. The PB6 looks easier to fab a bracket for and costs less than $100. It also has a great reputation as being avery accurate input device. Any other opinions on this?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Torque and Speed are a hard pair to get in the same package

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
K-DAWG
Gone Wild

There is no fabing to make it work and its a stock club car part. It bolts right into place. I have had zero problems with it. Its a sealed unit. I ride my cart in very nasty off raod stuff. Lots of mud and water. It seems bullet proof to me so far. The guy's at D&D Motors are the ones who convinced me to use it. Good luck with whatever you decided to do.
K-DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car