lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #31
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse Front Lift Question?

I got 5 " even by putting my rear axle under the leaf springs..
No added anything. Something to keep in mind.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #32
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake80 View Post
im gona throw in my half cent. i did try to remount my leafs on top of my factory axle lift which worked out just fine. but, i had the st spindles. the steering risers will not fit on those spindles. i tried that too. i had to find a set of stock txt spindles and use the risers for it to work. but i lucked up and got a jakes 5" lift from a guy on here for $150.
Hi Blake80, what size wheels & tyres you running mate? I have the ST spindles but only going 23's and it looks like it will work fine.

Well Guru Scottyb my main man thinks it will be ok for my cart so you got me wondering.

Aussie Workhorse
Aussie Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #33
reinman88
Gone Wild

Since my 800 series workhorse is a TXT I should be fine. Though I'm still thinking I won't need the lift spindles, and can just lengthen the the tie rods. Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Csason if you got 5 inches of lift at the back by just putting the springs on the top of the axles, won't the cart be going downhill in the front with this method?

That's why I was wondering if you may have to go an inch above the front axle to even things up.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #34
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinman88 View Post
Since my 800 series workhorse is a TXT I should be fine. Though I'm still thinking I won't need the lift spindles, and can just lengthen the the tie rods. Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Csason if you got 5 inches of lift at the back by just putting the springs on the top of the axles, won't the cart be going downhill in the front with this method?

That's why I was wondering if you may have to go an inch above the front axle to even things up.
I ran mine for about a month with a straight axle in front, no lift..( I have not done this method, although it is used frequently) BUT, I had *started* what was going to be my lift, by *flipping* the rear axle.. I am not sure how it works out using this *method* , but just by putting my axle on the bottom I got and even lift with a 4" drop axle. (I was advised to use the 4" as it really gives about 5", and that was correct.)

I now have mine about as high as I want to go, I am going to add 23" tires soon, like maybe tomorrow if everything goes well, and I have no blocks or spacers on my rear.
I will probably do away with the aluminum housings soon, and just use an axle perch and u bolts, like a standard pick up truck.
If I need a little lift, I will add spacers.

As for how you can *even* yours up, and still use this method, I guess using a little longer shackle in the back would to the trick ??
Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #35
auburn17
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by csason View Post
As for how you can *even* yours up, and still use this method, I guess using a little longer shackle in the back would to the trick ??
That would be your best bet, find a set of 2" lift shackles for the rear.
auburn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #36
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Workhorse View Post
Hi Blake80, what size wheels & tyres you running mate? I have the ST spindles but only going 23's and it looks like it will work fine.

Well Guru Scottyb my main man thinks it will be ok for my cart so you got me wondering.

Aussie Workhorse
i was running 22's but they were wider than what most are running. the problem i was having is that the tie rods were sitting on top the leafs causing it hard to turn. the five inch lifts use drop axles and put the leafs on top, but they use the risers for stock spindles. i tried the risers on the st spindle, but they wouldnt fit. someone else may have done the same thing with luck though.
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #37
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
That would be your best bet, find a set of 2" lift shackles for the rear.
Bear with me now, I'm mechanically challenged.

You're saying instead of moving the back springs on top of the axle, leave them below, but add 2 inch shackles to get enough lift to match the front.

Do I have that right?

If so I will lift the front first and see what I gain. I may need to go 3 inches in back. I have no problem with the box, but the plastic fenders are much closer on the back then on the front. So clearance might be a problem if I only go up 2 inches.

Also found the tires I plan to use. Going to try 6 ply 22x10-10 Swamp Fox. I can get them locally for $56 each.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #38
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey reinman88, just to give you some idea my workhores rear is stock with no lift. The springs are on the top of the axle from factory I have put up a couple of photos to show you how much clearance I still have in the rear running 23 inch tyres.

The same wheels and tyres are just touching in the front so as best as I can work out if I get the front springs on top of my axle it should even my cart up.

I don't know how much of a help this is but I find photos really make it sink in with me

Aussie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06540.jpg (112.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06539.jpg (53.6 KB, 9 views)
Aussie Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #39
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Yeah, I am just saying that if you start your lift in the front and it's fixed in position, you might want to get measurements about the whole thing.

Might be that you only need a three inch lift in back , and flipping the axle may be too much.. I am in favor of the axle flip myself, as it is more stable, and the shackles and bushings remain stock. Just a preference..

If you're gonna put those tires on there, you will be happier if you get a drop axle lift, and use just the front part of the lift, I got my All Sports lift from CPP, and I love it.
In six months or so I plan to go with an A arm lift of some sort..
The big block is just crying for a better suspension..

HOWEVER if you are already half way there, that is the way I would proceed..of course, it takes me a long time to do anything..sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinman88 View Post
Bear with me now, I'm mechanically challenged.

You're saying instead of moving the back springs on top of the axle, leave them below, but add 2 inch shackles to get enough lift to match the front.

Do I have that right?

If so I will lift the front first and see what I gain. I may need to go 3 inches in back. I have no problem with the box, but the plastic fenders are much closer on the back then on the front. So clearance might be a problem if I only go up 2 inches.

Also found the tires I plan to use. Going to try 6 ply 22x10-10 Swamp Fox. I can get them locally for $56 each.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #40
reinman88
Gone Wild

This is what I have.

My back springs are under the axle. The back of the spring has this shackle, which is 4 inches long, or 2 1/2 inches center of bolt to center of bolt. The front of the spring is attached to the frame. I'm thinking I can get longer shackles for the back, 6 or 7 inches, and use the ones I currently have on the front. This should give me a 2 to 3 inch lift on the back of the cart.

Currently I have standard golf cart tires. Here is front clearance, and back clearance. I may have to take off some of the plastic fender on the back with 22 inch tires. But if I put on fender flares after, I may be able to cover up what was cut off.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO