lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #11
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Harley Davidson Golf cart canopy dimensions

You have to have a few posts before you can attach a pic, I think 3 or 5. Feel free to post a couple of nonsense posts here to get your count up. It's common for people who are new to the forum to do that.
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Harley Davidson Golf cart canopy dimensions

Regarding the sewing, the creation method depends on how the canopy is going to be secure to the frame. I am aware of two and I will try my best to describe each method. I used marine vinyl from a fabric store and I believe that is what you are going to want to use.

There are two ways to secure the roof:

With my cart that is pictured, the frame is made out of 1/2 inch black pipe. However, there is a 3/4 inch half pipe edge that runs around the entire outer circumference of the top frame. Think of this as 3/4 inch black pipe that was cut in half length wise. When attaching the canopy, it gets stretched over top of the 1/2 inch and the 3/4 half pipe gets put on the outside and fastened with screws every 6 inches or so thus holding the canopy in place.

The more common way of fastening is to make the canopy a good 6 inches or so larger than frame on all sides. Grommets then need to be installed every 6 inches or so near the edges of the canopy. The canopy then gets draped over the frame and then nylon string is used to secure / tighten the canopy by feeding the string from side to side via the grommets.

Regarding sewing, that actually wasn't too bad at all. I am fortunate to have a decent quality sewing machine. I just cut the vinyl a bit larger than the frame and folded and sewed the edges so that things wouldn't fray. During this process I also added the tassels to give things a more hippie look. I have the "half pipe" frame so I installed at that point.

Had I not had the half pipe frame I would have added the grommets, fitted the roof on the cart, and marked where the tassels would have to be sewn on. I then would have removed the canopy, sewed on the tassels, and put it back on.

This is a bit of work but but these canopies / roof frames are no longer made and are just about impossible to find. If you want one you will have to make it yourself.

I would imagine a custom tarp place would be able to make one as well. I enjoy doing these things myself, though.
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson