lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 Club Car won't stay running.

Hmmm... being that it's an 88, I'm gonna let Springbok follow up on this one,
He's the man when it comes to KF82's!

Be patient, he'll be back around soon!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #12
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

It's important to note the difference between the motor turning over solely on the power of the starter/generator and the motor actually firing up and running on it's own. Many people think that when they hit the gas and the starter/generator starts turning the motor over that the motor is running, just running at a really low rpm. But the motor isn't actually running until it fires up and you can rev it.

Don't rule out your throttle linkage. If you can't get the motor to fire using the pedal, hold down the pedal and grab the linkage rod on the carb throttle and see if it will move any further to start the motor. You may have a bind or a kink in the linkage between the pedal and the carburetor.

If you still can't get the motor to fire, you're missing one of three things the motor needs to fire: fuel, spark, or air. To find out which, remove the spark plug after you've cycled the motor (trying to start it unsuccessfully).
  • If the spark plug is wet, you have fuel and should check for spark. To check for spark, remove the plug, get some insulated pliers, and hold the body of the spark plug against the side of the motor (to ground it) and cycle the motor. If you have spark, you should see the electrode of the spark plug sparking and hear it clicking.
  • If the spark plug is dry, you have a fuel issue.
  • If the spark plug is wet and the spark plug is firing, then you have an air blockage. Pull off the air filter assembly and see if it'll start without it. (this is usually not the issue, more often than not it's fuel or spark)
Try all that and let us know.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
mustangsally1225
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok I was able to check a few things today. I did hold the pedal down and tried moving the linkage with my hand and nothing. The starter spins the motor but won't fire it up. I checked the spark plug and it is wet so its definitely getting fuel. I also removed the air filter assembly and no change. I wasn't able to test for spark as I was pressed with time but each time I tried to start the motor with the pedal I still notice once I almost release the peddle all the way the motor will fire up for a few seconds and then it goes back to starter generator just spinning motor. We did check for spark prior to replacing the carb a couple weeks ago and we did have spark.
mustangsally1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Any good news?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car