lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2011 Yamaha G29 Complete Teardown and Rebuild

Hello All, I am a new member on here and rarely post but read a lot. I have owned a Yamaha g29 for about 9 months now. I purchased the cart used from a local guy and he had already installed a 6 inch RHOX lift, lights, and aftermarket wheels and tires. I needed a new project so I decided to tear the cart completely down and rebuild it(yes, I am probably crazy for doing this!) I have found a few issues(shortcuts) that the previous owner did and I want to make sure everything is good to go. This will probably be a very slow build because of my work schedule. I plan to document my build with photos as well as issues that I have found and I am sure I will have a lot of questions along the way. That brings me to my first question. I now have the cart down to the frame, the only thing remaining is the front clip(steering, tie rods, hubs, etc) I am noticing a grayish rough substance on the frame. I have sprayed down with degreaser, pressure washed, and a little scrubbing but this stuff seems to want to stick around. I am attaching pictures so that maybe someone can tell me what I need to do to get this stuff off of the cart. I am trying my best to not have to paint the frame. I will but only as a last resort.
Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Nicholas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (124.4 KB, 0 views)
nickybobby16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2011 Yamaha G29 Complete Teardown and Rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Prior to teardown

Old 01-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2011 Yamaha G29 Complete Teardown and Rebuild

Greyish stuff is from golf course fertilizer goo, most likely. Extreme scrubbing required (might not come off). You might later decide (after much 3M scrubber then wire brush) paint may be easier. I have refurbed many, that scaley crap is hell to remove. I see you got the better charger, keep it. Your "Rhox" kit looks like a Jakes "spindle" lift kit to me, thats a good thing. All the Rhox kits i have used were not like that, and they were trash. Nothing wrong with a Jakes spindle lift kit (if you cant afford the "Cadillac" Jakes Double A-arm kit). Looks like a good start on a sweet build.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks CG. Yeah, that stuff is caked on pretty bad. I got after it pretty hard yesterday with degreaser and 2700psi pressure washer. When it is wet, it is waxy feeling and then when dry it is rough. I was wondering how a hot wash pressure washer would do on it, given the texture or it but I do not have easy access to one of those.
This project started out as a tear down to rolling chassis, deep clean, and check parts. As I was tearing down, I kept seeing things that I didn't like so I am now down to the frame! Like I said earlier, this should be fun!.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I love seeing build threads like these. Can't wait to see the progress pics. Roll tide roll! Just picking at you.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

DB, I liked you up until that last comment! just kidding. Where in Alabama do you live?

I will keep the pictures coming. I went out this morning while I had a few mins before work and made some progress on the cleaning. SOS pad seems to work pretty good at getting that scaly/waxy stuff off. It will take a while to get it all off but I am in this build for the long haul so I may as well take my time and know that it is the best it could be.

I have read a lot of your comments and suggestions on other topics so I may reach out to you during this.

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
dbmachine
Gone Wild

No problem. I'm from central Bama a few miles south of Montgomery. All my carts were purchased from doug knight yamaha in opelika. I will be glad to answer any questions for you. I have limited knowledge of the 48v setups but suspension and other components are nearly identical to the gas setups
Old 01-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #8
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Oh yeah need to add another crystal football to my avatar
Old 01-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #9
SETEX ARMS
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Hey dont read a word from this dbmachine character. lol
Just kidding. db helped me substantially on my build.

Cart looks great. All you lack is finishing. I had fun on mine.

As cgtech has already stated. Just spray some black paint over that scally crap and move along.

Keep the pictures coming.
SETEX ARMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

DB and Setex, Thank you both for the input, as well as all others that have commented. I will continue to build as I can. Work has been crazy lately and working late hours and early mornings. I am hoping that is calms down a little bit so that I can get some build time in. Again, I will update this thread with pictures as I move through this.

Tags
drive, frame, g29, rebuild, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha