lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2011 Yamaha G29 Complete Teardown and Rebuild

What are your plans for the cart?? neighborhood cruiser, offroad, hunting?? Also while you have everything broken down so far go ahead and inspect the king pin bolts on the front spindles for wear, rust, or corrosion. I've seen a few carts g29 that were normal neighborhood cruiser carts with some serious rust and corrosion going on. Pull them and lubricate with a good coat of grease
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I will be using the cart for a little bit of everything. We cruise around the neighborhood when the weather is nice. We also use it at campgrounds during the summer and tailgating during the fall(used it more this fall because the FB in town was so bad) I also use it off-road some. I am trying to make sure I keep a balance that works for us. I do not want to go too extreme one way or the other.
I really like the look of the 6 inch lifts but I hated the ride. I tried to convince my wife on the 3 inch but she was not having any of that! So, I have decided to go with the Jake's A-Arm LT kit. I believe I will be able to achieve a nice ride and good look with that. I really didn't want to fork out the money for it but I only plan on tearing this one down once. If I get it all together and end up not liking it, you will see it in the classifieds.
As far as other things on the cart. I also plan on adding HD spings in rear and I may go with a little more aggressive tire(A/T) I followed SETEX's build and like the look he has on his. However, I will not be getting the Maxxis Ceros tires. Those things are awesome but would be a little overkill for my use.
On the body side of things. I will be installing a new OEM front and rear cowl(black metallic) and will be replacing a few worn and scuffed panels such as the bag well cover and the rocker panels. If I decide not to change the body, the original is still in good condition but the previous owner installed the lights and it looks like he did his light cutouts with a chainsaw! haha

Electrical - I plan to replace batteries with new Trojan-T-875 as well as replace all of the battery cables with 4 awg. I am really thinking about upgrading the controller to give it a little more torque and speed but part of me says, let it ride till it goes out. However, I will continue to research controllers and motors.

Electrical Accessories - Reinstall lights(may upgrades heads to LED), add some LEDs underneath(wife demand), install aux battery(Odyssey PC925) and fuse distribution for above accessories and possibly a few more such as 12V accessory charger.
I have looked into stereos and mounting solutions for the G29 but I do not like anything that I have found so far. The elite dash looks cool but I feel like it is a little too expensive and I am not crazy about the height of the center part. It looks to be a little bulky looking and I have yet to see one in a cart to compare. I am not a fan of the overhead units(had a few on previous UTVs that I have owned. Since I bought it 9 months ago, I have been using a JBL Charge BT speaker. I ran some velcro cinch straps under the dash insert where the ball carrier is and strapped it in there. It actually worked out very good. I may continue this way until I figure out exactly what I want. The reason for moving away from it was I wanted to add an aftermarket dash cover and 2x cup holder insert with locking compartments and I new my mounting way of the past would not be an option.

I think I am rambling on now! If you guys know of anything that I may have left out and things that may need to be checked while torn down, please let me know.

DB, I will be sure to check out everything on the front clip as noted. Although, things will be changing across the front when the new lift comes in.

If you guys happen to know someone that wants a 6 inch RHOX lift, I have mine for sale. Slightly used and in very good condition. I also have it listed in the For Sale section of the forum.
nickybobby16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
dbmachine
Gone Wild

From my experience no matter 3" or 6" spindle lift the ride quality as far as absorbing the bumps is the same. Tire pressure plays a role in absorbing the bumpy stuff with the spindle lifts. The 6" spindle lift can be a bit more tippy feeling due to the fact it's taller off the ground. The issue that always troubled me in the past with the 6" lift was the ability for older age passengers and young kids to be able to get on and off the cart. With 23" tires the rear platform with a rear seat is very high up off the ground.

I don't think you mentioned if you had a rear seat kit or not
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #14
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I do have a rear seat and yes, it sits pretty high. Glad I do not ride on back! haha
Old 01-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Just a little update on the build:

I was finally able to get everything pulled apart and inspected. I am working on cleaning the chassis now and will be painting this weekend. I have went back and forth on whether to paint the cart myself or have someone blast and powder coat. After getting a few estimates on blasting and coating, I chose to spend the money on upgrades to the drive system rather than powder coat something that most people will not notice! The frame is not in bad shape at all so that was also a driver of my decision.

I am awaiting the following parts:
1- Alltrax 48300 for the YDRE - I chose this controller because I did not want to replace the motor at this time. After having lengthy talks with Plowman, I(we) decided that this would meet my requirements.....for now!

2- Jake's 3" Spindle Lift - I am removing/replacing the RHOX 6" spindle lift because of the terrible handling and I really do not like the height of the rear seat with the 6" installed.

3 - Odyssey PC925 battery - I will install this battery to run all accessories(H/T lights, under cart LEDs, stereo, cig/usb charger) all will be run to a central, fused distribution block

4 - New battery cables - upgraded factory cable to 4 gauge from Plowman.

5 - Jake's HD rear springs

6 - Datel digital voltmeter

I ordered a set of fender flares but I do not like the look of them at all. I was going to return them but after restocking fee and return shipping, it was not worth it so if any of you guys know of anyone that may want them, please PM me and we can work out a deal. If I am going to lose money, would rather it go to someone who can use them. I am also selling the 6" RHOX lift as well. It is listed in the part for sell section of this forum.

That is pretty much all I have for now. I will post more pictures as this build takes shape.

I would like to thank DB, CG, and Setex for getting my steered in the right direction for this build.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #16
Boosted1200
Not Yet Wild

What should your top speed be now?
Boosted1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #17
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Hoping to be around the 21-23 mph. If not, we will keep playing until it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #18
Boosted1200
Not Yet Wild

Ill call next week and order controller and motor ill let you know what i end up with for speed
Boosted1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Please dont buy a 300a controller for a lifted cart, you will be unhappy with performance with a new motor. 400a should be bare minimum for big tires/lift. If you are scared for your stock motor, turn the amps down to 300a for now. A laptop & a common usb printer cable (and the free software from the alltrax website) is all you need for adjustments.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #20
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Making a little progress today. Scuffed , degreased and pressure washed frame. Have a couple of rusty places to fix. I should be able to finish chassis painting this weekend and start reassembly early this coming week. Will continue to document and point out lessons learned. I used 3M scotch-brite Maroon scuff pad and I am painting with VHT Chassis and Roll Bar paint. On the rust, I am using VHT Rust Converter. Hoping it turns out good! (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
drive, frame, g29, rebuild, yamaha
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha