lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: I think G29 electric motor officially died!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackty View Post
Burned mine up a couple of weekends ago. It was just it's time. Ordered the Riot Kit from Don...Jim
Awesome! I will be using his riot motor with my 300 amp alltrax. Not looking forward to the motor installation... But I am looking forward to seeing how the cart performs with the new motor.
Bballtwenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My motor change was a big improvement.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #13
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
My motor change was a big improvement.
Any tips other than the obvious when installing the motor.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #14
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

I have 2 open-end wrenches that are exclusively used for tightening cables onto motors. I've ground them down so they are thin enough to hold the "base nut" and not interfere with the "top nut". If you've got spare wrenches lying around you might want to grind a few--spinning one of the posts can really bugger a motor.

TJ
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #15
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What about cleaning the spline and shaft area where the motor was attached to. Mine had a ton of charred brake looking dust on it. I sprayed some brake free on it to remove a lot of the bulkier debris. Does that area have to be spotless??
Old 06-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There is also a rubber ring inside the old motor that you need to dig out and put in the new one. I almost missed that. It's inside the spline connection. You also want to put Never Seize on the splines. Do clean out the old junk. The area should be clean but you don't want the splines without any lube on them or they will weld together over time. The rubber ring is important for noise reduction.
Use two wrenches on the motor connections so that you do not turn the lower nut at all. This is also very important. Don't go overboard tightening those nuts. The studs are pretty soft.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
There is also a rubber ring inside the old motor that you need to dig out and put in the new one. I almost missed that. It's inside the spline connection. You also want to put Never Seize on the splines. Do clean out the old junk. The area should be clean but you don't want the splines without any lube on them or they will weld together over time. The rubber ring is important for noise reduction.
Use two wrenches on the motor connections so that you do not turn the lower nut at all. This is also very important. Don't go overboard tightening those nuts. The studs are pretty soft.
Gotcha thanks!
Could I just lightly coat the splines with some grease. Like I'm going to lightly coat that rubber grommet that goes inside the motor?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #18
Bballtwenty2
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quick different question. Do I need to disconnect the positive feed to the batteries while doing all this. I typically and have been working with the cart in tow mode and the main negative feed disconnected.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

YES!!!! Always disconnect the batteries when working you your cart's electrics. Disconnect any battery cable - doesn't have to be the positive cable.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #20
blackty
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the tips on the rubber ring and thinner wrenches...Jim
blackty is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha