lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
jshae
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Installed Alltrax XCT 300a controller, new solenoid. nothing works

For the heck of it I tested the new solenoid just now and I think the new solenoid is faulty or I didn't test it correctly....I unplugged the power cable + end to the solenoid and took all other wires off solenoid. Clamped - jumper cable on - battery post, clamped + jumper cable on the 51v cable +end that was on solenoid and other end of jumpers I hooked to small posts of soleniod, no click and no continuity between large posts. Did same test on old solenoid, same results. That the correct way to test solenoid?
jshae is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
jshae
Not Yet Wild

No, the cart was not working before new controller was installed. A few months ago I stripped the cart down to the frame, replaced front shocks, rear springs, batteries, seat covers and body with light kit. Cart worked great for about 2 weeks, then stopped working. I put a new solenoid on W&R 586 and didn't fix the problem. The solenoid would click twice really fast when switched to run but it wouldn't do anything else. I tested everything with voltage meter before throwing a $400 dart at the wall for a new controller. Just before I ordered the new controller I switched to run, solenoid clicked, turn the key and pushed reverse switch, reverse buzzer worked, which it had not previously, got in it, reversed out of the garage and drove it down the street and back again. Since then nothing. I have no clue why it decided to work. After that miraculous day, when switched to run the reverse buzzer would buzz nonstop whether reverse or forward was switched. Then it stopped buzzing and the solenoid would just continuously click. Ordered the Alltrax and here I am, as lost and confused as ever...but after today I think its the solenoid unless I didn't test it correctly?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #13
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshae View Post
For the heck of it I tested the new solenoid just now and I think the new solenoid is faulty or I didn't test it correctly....I unplugged the power cable + end to the solenoid and took all other wires off solenoid. Clamped - jumper cable on - battery post, clamped + jumper cable on the 51v cable +end that was on solenoid and other end of jumpers I hooked to small posts of soleniod, no click and no continuity between large posts. Did same test on old solenoid, same results. That the correct way to test solenoid?

Disconnect small wires to solenoid and use a meter set to ohms to measure resistance between the two small terminals. It should not be close to zero or very high. Mine was 238 ohms I think but it will vary. If it reads okay you can connect + and - of the battery pack to the small wires and it should click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
jshae
Not Yet Wild

trent i got 255 ohm and then no click when i clamped +- from battery onto small posts of solenoid.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #15
jshae
Not Yet Wild

Replacement solenoid arrived today. Installed, still no click. Attached is photo of solenoid. Is this wired correctly? W&R 586 solenoid, xct 300 controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asolenoiod.jpg (121.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

While I'm not saying this is your problem, this particular type of cable end is the worst I have seen for golf cart use. The cable strands run up into the ends of the connector. They don't hold torque well on battery nuts by compressing further after tightening, and they soak up battery acid like a sponge. In this line of work, I consider them the clear sign of cheapo workmanship, the cheapest available. Might be ok for a car, where high loads only last a few seconds to crank the starter, but inferior for long duty in a cart.

Back to the issue, you get no throttle position percentage signal, or no throttle pedal switch signal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180724_002010.jpg (12.4 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
jshae
Not Yet Wild

Good to know, soon as we're on the road again I'll replace.I get a throttle switch signal each time I press the accelerator but no throttle position signal. Would a faulty throttle position sensor cause the solenoid not to open. I have full pack voltage from B+ to big solenoid terminal and full pack on the two small terminals, no voltage on big solenoid terminal that goes to the controller. Since I started this project I knew nothing about electric carts. I now know almost nothing but it seems like the TPS is the culprit. All other switches read full pack when selected. I unhooked everything from motor and jumped it, wheels turn. I've come to understand there could still be a short in the motor even if wheels spin when jumped to battery. I appreciate your input.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Did I read this right? 3 solenoids and none of them bench test good.
None will click when you bring + to one small post and - to the other small post? How is it mathematically possible to get 3 bad solenoids? Can you connect these test jumpers to your meter and verify 36 volts.

I like to use a meter set to beep upon continuity that has clamps which are connected to the big posts. I clip a 36v - to one post (follow any +/- markings on the solenoid) and firmly touch the + jumper to the small stud nut, not the threads.(the arc may damage threads)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #19
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Unless the controller is showing throttle range error flags (resulting in shutdown flag), then I don't think it would prevent solenoid activation. Solenoid activation is at the discretion of the controller, it isn't directly connected to the pedal switch.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #20
jshae
Not Yet Wild

Bench test of two solenoids included taking all wires off solenoid, from 1st battery in the pack black on neg red jumper on +. Verified 50.1 volts on the free end of jumper cable. + and - on small solenoid posts..no click! Didn’t test the 3rd/new solenoid due to the low odds of being faulty. Ordered TPS. Will see and report back. Tired of throwing money at it. Bout to roll it off a cliff.

Tags
alltrax xct 300a, yamaha drive no go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha