lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
dtchildress
Not Yet Wild

Default '08 Drive No Solenoid Click

Hello, I just picked up a non running 2008 Drive (6 seater) last week. I have been troubleshooting ever since and lurking around here to soak up all the info I can. This place is full of info. I am sure all of my questions have been answered at some point and I am searching old threads to try to figure it out so I apologize in advance for repeat questions.

Here is where I am at: Just bought 6 new batteries. When in RUN I have and key on I have B+ to solenoid main contact and B+ to both small solenoid contacts (no B-). Solenoid does not click when I turn to run/key on/accelerator on. I made the classic mistake of replacing the solenoid without really knowing the old one was bad (throw parts at the problem) so not I have a new solenoid (and a spare). Buzzer does not work in any configuration. I will check to see if the solenoid clicks while giving it a push when I get home.

I removed throttle positioner and thought it tested bad (ohm’d sensor out) but after more research I am not sure I can test it that way like a normal potentiometer. I could not figure out how to test it while plugged in like some of the threads advise. How do you get a meter on the wires? I did make a valient attempt with jumpers I made and read -3v on one pin and nothing on the others when tested across each other. That is a whole other topic I guess.

I have not checked voltage at the keyswitch, F/R switch or the stop switch yet. That will be next.

I also have a Curtis voltage meter that is blinking. I am guessing it is bad because they are brand new batteries, but I could be wrong.

I think all of this is leading me down the path of potentially needing a new controller. Then the question comes up on which to get. Probably upgrade because I plan on lifting the cart with 12” wheels and 22” tires. I guess that means another, beefier solenoid too. This stuff adds up quick.

Any insight into what I may have missed is certainly appreciated.

Well back to digging into old threads to see what else I can learn.

Thanks,
Dan
dtchildress is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #2
dtchildress
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '08 Drive No Solenoid Click

Update: No click of the solenoid while pushing cart in run with key on. Key switch is good. Brake switch has B+ to it and I have continuity on the sensor when the accelerator is depressed. F/R rocker switch has B+ to it and I have continuity when I checked the F and R.

Seems like everything I have checked has checked out accept for the throttle sensor and I am not sure I checked it correctly.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Since the small posts have B+, we know the tow/run switch is good. Solenoid should activate when tow/run is switched to run. I'm leaning towards bad controller (controller provides B- to solenoid).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
dtchildress
Not Yet Wild

Just wanted to put some closure to this thread. Installed a new controller (Alltrax xct500 from Scottyb) and cart is working now. Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha