lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
novjay1977
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lightbulb 1974 Club Car Caroche...brakes first then other ideas

I bought a 1974 Club Car Caroche last fall (for $150) from a guy looking to unload it since it didn't run. After downloading the parts and assembly manuals I decided to replace the solenoids, rewire the cart, and install new batteries. To my delight, the cart now moves (in fact it flies!).
The one, and big problem, is that it currently has inoperable breaks. The cable running to the rear breaks has been severed, the driver side is missing shoes, and both drums are pretty rusted. From what I read so far, replacing this system is difficult as parts (particularly the master cylinder) are difficult to come by. I'm looking for ideas on how to replace the brakes.
novjay1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 1974 Club Car Caroche...brakes first then other ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by novjay1977 View Post
I bought a 1974 Club Car Caroche last fall (for $150) from a guy looking to unload it since it didn't run. After downloading the parts and assembly manuals I decided to replace the solenoids, rewire the cart, and install new batteries. To my delight, the cart now moves (in fact it flies!).
The one, and big problem, is that it currently has inoperable breaks. The cable running to the rear breaks has been severed, the driver side is missing shoes, and both drums are pretty rusted. From what I read so far, replacing this system is difficult as parts (particularly the master cylinder) are difficult to come by. I'm looking for ideas on how to replace the brakes.
I have never done this, but if you search around in here there are others who have.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #3
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

i'm a gearhead, if parts are not available, i'd start making stuff fit
post up some pics, you can probably adapt atv disk brakes on there
you do mention cable cut, but then add master cylinder, is the current setup cable or hydraulic?
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
novjay1977
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah so first off I generally don't know what I'm talking about.
From what I read, the original set up was a hydraulic breaking system. There is one line running from the front of the cart to near the rear break area that has been cut and I'm assuming it is part of the original system. There is allow a wire cable that runs from the front to the back that I assumed was associated with the hill break (3rd pedal). I will post pictures this weekend.
novjay1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #5
Freckles
Gone Wild

I do remember some older threads on this forum where someone did find a master cylinder and other brake parts for the caroche. They were the same as some old car parts i believe. you'll have to do some searching on here, but i do recall someone had this figured out
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caroche, club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car