lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
rlcannonjr
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO with speed chip changes modes after switching to/from tow

Bottom line up front: Can EZGO TXT with PDS and Speed Chip be switch in and out of speed mode?

I bought a used 2004 EZGO TXT. At first it seemed to run pretty fast. When we went away for a couple weeks, I switched it to "tow". After I switched it back to run, it seemed to run slower. I also noticed automatic breaking when I let up on the accelerator.

After doing some research, I learned about the beep codes to indicate the current mode. Sure enough, I was only getting two beeps. I took the cover off off of the controller and verified the speed chip, and it is good. After putting it back in, and switching back to "run", I got 4 beeps. All was good.

Just to experiment, I switched to "tow" then back to "run", and now only two beeps. Switching a few more times was still only two beeps. After going back and forth, I was able to get four beeps again and I don't ever want to put it back to "tow".

Is there any rhyme or reason as to when/why I sometimes get two beeps and sometimes get four beeps?

Thanks in advance.
Rick
rlcannonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZGO with speed chip changes modes after switching to/from tow

Dirty connections at the plug in for the chip.. All they are is jumpers so dirty connections
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:03 PM   #3
rlcannonjr
Not Yet Wild

This makes sense and I will look into it. However, when I removed the controller cover the inside looked almost brand new and very clean. Also, when I put a meter onto the contacts, there was no delay or issues with the contacts on the cables. However, perhaps there is some corrosion or something on the contacts in the controller, and I will look into it...

Do you know that there are not options that would make this switch from one to the other intentionally with the speed chip attached? It sounds like you are saying is that if the speed chip is properly connected, then the feedback should always be four beeps and in high-speed mode.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:32 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It's not a chip, it's just a jumper plug (and ezgo calls it "personality plug", not chip, not sure why everyone has always called some jumpers wires a chip). With it being just jumpers, it should always do the same thing, no matter how many times you turn the tow/run switch. What color were the wires on your Personality Plug? (All 4 different speed/regen versions used different colors).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #5
rlcannonjr
Not Yet Wild

I understand agree it is not a chip, but just jumper wires. I think that is what others referred to it by and I just echoed that.

My wires are red and jumper pins 1-5, and 2-3. Like I said, when I ring them out, the wires are solid with no issues. I need to verify the actual pins in the control box are clean and making good contact.

When I remove the jumpers, I always get 1 beep. I have not driven the cart in this mode, but only checked it for testing.

With the jumper is in, I sometimes get 2 beeps and sometimes get 4 beeps. Additionally, the cart drives how the beeps indicate. With 2 beeps, it is slower and I get auto breaking when I let my foot off the accelerator. With 4 beeps, it drives noticeably and measurably (using a phone app) faster without any auto breaking when I lift off the accelerator.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a list of PDS modes and a list of the various speed chips showing which pins are jumpered for which mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO