lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

Default Help! Only runs at low rpm

2002 cc ds. Fe290 engine.
Bought this cart not running. Guy told me fuel issues.
I’ve changed the gas lines, filter, 3 diff new carbs. And 3 different fuel pumps.
Seems to be getting good flow of gas. I’ve played with throttle linkage, trans governor. Gas from can straight to carb. Valves are set where their suppose to be . Everything with zero affect.
Am I missing something? Cylinder Compression check was 160 lbs.
rev limiter is disconnected. Could it be electrical? Out of time? Am really at a loss lol. Any ideas would be great. Oh the fan and shroud melted down due to a fire from me trying to see if gas was an issue. So I’ll have to pull engine to change fan. But wanted to see if I could get it running the way it should before that.
Gonna try and post a video.
One more thing, I forgot to turn on gas when I took a video and the rpms did come up a little while it was running out of gas. I deleted that video though. Maybe it’s running super rich? Thanks.
bud_toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
7harborcruiser
Not Yet Wild

Default Help! Only runs at low rpm

You have the carb hooked up the proper air box /air filter? They require that hooked up to run decent. The carbs are very finicky. I tried using a KandN filter and it flowed to much air and made my cart run poor. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7harborcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

Default Re: Help! Only runs at low rpm

Yes they are all hooked up right. Only thing about the carbs is they are eBay specials. It didn’t come with original carb. Trying to post a video. Not ha I got any luck there either...lol.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #4
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQfG9RMEAR0
Old 04-15-2021, 07:14 AM   #5
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hey Bud that's not a 350 is it?? It has that tall cap on the sparkplug cap usually found on the 290 and 350.

Even if it was a 350 with a 290 carb it should run better than that though....or so i would think.

Oh wait you did say you checked the valves, so its probably a 290 then. I know there are a few 350 with adjustable valves but i believe they were early models that used the flat spark plug cap.

Exhaust sounds a bit different. Is it possibly something in the exhaust clogging it?

Fuel tank vent clogged??

If you open the float bowl right now will it drain fuel that it seems the float bowl was full?
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #6
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

Exhaust has a hole in it. Runs same way with out exhaust. As far as gas tank and what not. I ran a gas can above engine straight to carb. Ran no different. Am really at a loss here.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Seems that ALL non-running carts, atv’s, anything is always “fuel related”. They say “just needs the carb cleaned” yeah... right...

I don’t know why the intake tube is collapsing the way it is. Are you sure the duct going all the way from under the coal into the intake isn’t clogged? Mud dobbers and stuff love to build nests in there and clog them up. Try opening the airbox lid.

Also check valve adjustment. .0047 for intake and exhaust.

Are you getting good spark? Remove the plug, hold it against the valve cover bolt and spin the engine. Is the spark strong? What color? Yellow? White? Blue?

These engines don’t go out of time unless the rivets break off the camshaft gear... which happens but not that often. That’s an easy one to check. While you’re adjusting the valves you will have to turn the motor over to get to TDC. I use the clutch and turn it slowly by hand. If the valves move then the camshaft is fine. If the valves don’t move then the rivets are sheared. It can be repaired easily with some small bolts and nyloc nuts, you don’t necessarily have to buy a new camshaft unless it’s damaged.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Edit: just re read you adjusted the valves. How far out were they? Particularly the intake valve? The exhaust valves almost never wear out but the intake valves do
Old 04-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #9
bud_toledo
Getting Wild

Pretty sure intake tube and air filter is all good. I took apart and cleaned it. As far as valves go. There set at .05”. I’ll recheck valve movement and clearance again.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Something is wrong causing the intake tube between the airbox and the carb to collapse. I’m thinking it is Either it’s starving for air or something is with the valves. I’ve had a ton of these carts and never seen the intake tube collapse like that.

Do you have an original oem carb? Or just the aftermarket? I’ve never had much luck with aftermarket carbs
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car