lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
dodgetk81
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 stroke question

I am looking at a project cart that may need a new engine. Its an 89. I believe the engine is a 3pg, but correct me if I am wrong, as this is my first day on the cart scene. I was wondering if it is benificial to rebuild the 2 stroke that is in there, or swap it out for something newer/better. Thanks for the help.
dodgetk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: 2 stroke question

Some things to keep in mind. 3PG engines run backwards for reverse. IMO, Your better off rebuilding the 3PG. If you swap the engine with one that doesn't have the capabilty to run backwards you will need a later model rear axle that has reverse gear built in. You will also have to fabricate some stuff for it all to work properly.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

I agree with roady, if your going to get that cart you better off rebuilding its engine.
On the other hand I feel your better off going with 4 strokes, there better suited for modding. I don't hardly ever fool with the 2 stroke carts anymore, it pretty much has to be a freebe for me to get one.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
dodgetk81
Not Yet Wild

Im lookin at somewhere between 4-500. A rebuild would be the worst I would need. I would perfer a 4 stroke, but I havent found a project cart at a project price anywhere near me. I have been looking for a few months now. I appriciate all the advice, keep it coming. There is a cart I saw in the for sale forum for 650. It needs a rebuild of the 350 engine. I believe it is a 2001. I am waiting to see if that is still avail. Here is the link
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...ezgo-sale.html
How does that one sound? How much should I expect to pay for a used 350 motor?
Don
dodgetk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

I would buy that ST in a sec if it was close to me, I would say that cart fixed up is worth at least $3500. Hard to say what it would cost to fix, depends on whats wrong. I have bought used 350 engines in the $400-$500 range.
If you end up getting one of those older carts, make sure its running and check it well for a rusted frame. I believe thats a problem up in your area if the carts not taken care of.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

IMHO, a huge mistake people make when buying a cart is buying a CHEAPO cart and thinking they can save money by rebuilding it themselves. You will end up with twice the money sunk into getting a CHEAPY running than you could buy a decent base for. I also think that 4 strokes the only way to go. They're just flat out better for the golf cart application.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO