lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
4RE KLR
Whats that clicking noise

Yamaha

Default 36 Volts upgrade to 48 Volt

I am planning a rebuild of the G16.

It has six 6-volts in it now. Trojans are shot.

I am thinking about putting in 8 -6 volt batteries. There is room under the seat to add the two extra batteries. I can just weld up some new trays and tie in the two extra batteries.

My question is:

Do I need to change anything else for it to work, or will just adding the extra two batteries burn up the system?

?
4RE KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
4RE KLR

Yamaha

Default Re: 36 Volts upgrade to 48 Volt

What,
No one gotty answer, pora me question

Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I'm no expert. Pretty expensive endevure. Batteries/charger/solenoid/controller/potentiometer (maybe) for the new controller and all for a "series wound" motor (G16e's are series wound right?). Check with people like "D & D", they specialize in electric upgrades.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
4RE KLR

Yamaha

Yes, as best as I can figure, it is a series electric motor.

Thanks,

I would still like to know what all is involved and the cost of doing this. The cart is 36 Volt now and I am afraid it will not pull itself out of a wet paper bag. Let alone after I put a lift, tires and wheels and a rear seat with two more passengers.

I don't know... Is this even necessary, or will the 36 Volt be enough with fresh batteries?

BTW:
My kids like your avatar
Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RE KLR View Post
Yes, as best as I can figure, it is a series electric motor.

Thanks,

I would still like to know what all is involved and the cost of doing this. The cart is 36 Volt now and I am afraid it will not pull itself out of a wet paper bag. Let alone after I put a lift, tires and wheels and a rear seat with two more passengers.

I don't know... Is this even necessary, or will the 36 Volt be enough with fresh batteries?

BTW:
My kids like your avatar
Many members run 36 volt lifted carts and are happy. New batteries make a big differance in performance. Those carts were desighned to run 10 to 12 mph and they went to 48 volts for better hill climbing and run time. Only you can make that desission. Your kids may like my avatar, but I like your cobra! Really like your "FI" system. I go to car swap meets and love "hildebrands" weather mechanical or reworked to electronic, they look so cool. Keep us posted. Call or look at D & M site, may give you some ideas. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
4RE KLR

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Many members run 36 volt lifted carts and are happy. New batteries make a big differance in performance. Those carts were desighned to run 10 to 12 mph and they went to 48 volts for better hill climbing and run time. Only you can make that desission. Your kids may like my avatar, but I like your cobra! Really like your "FI" system. I go to car swap meets and love "hildebrands" weather mechanical or reworked to electronic, they look so cool. Keep us posted. Call or look at D & M site, may give you some ideas. Later Dave
Thanks Dave,

To clear up something:

The FI system in not really a fuel injection system. It is 4 - 44 IDA Weber's. Which are basically naturally aspirated carburetors. The Injection part of the system is Nitrous Oxide which is an additional 250HP and is direct port injected, under each carburetor. So, it is not really a FI system it is just plain old Weber carburetors that I had reworked to my specifications.

Halibrands on the other hand, are a name brand of wheels, that were made popular by their usage on these as well as other cars. All original (I think) Halibrand wheels were made out of Magnesium, NOT aluminum. As you may know Magnesium burns VERY easily, and is very difficult to extinguish. When those wheels are used in racing they tend to 'heat up' and sometimes actually flame. When that happens, back up and say bye-bye to your ride. Therefore most of the Cobras use an aftermarket (replica) wheel that is intentionally made to resemble the original Halibrands.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hey Killer did you find out what all is involved and what the benifits are yet? I have done a few of these. I like to find the charger first. Then the controller and pb-6. are you needing new batteries anyway? Then go six 8v, otherwise add 2 used 6v. I have gotten good results with ezgo, melex, & CC. Haven't done a Yami yet but if it si series you can get another 25-30% outta the little motor that is on it.... Voltage is the nitros of electric carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
4RE KLR

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Hey Killer did you find out what all is involved and what the benifits are yet? I have done a few of these. I like to find the charger first. Then the controller and pb-6. are you needing new batteries anyway? Then go six 8v, otherwise add 2 used 6v. I have gotten good results with ezgo, melex, & CC. Haven't done a Yami yet but if it si series you can get another 25-30% outta the little motor that is on it.... Voltage is the nitros of electric carts.

Hadn't really got a clear answer. At least not clear to me.

Remember I am new to this and two weeks ago, I didn't know what a controller was. I am still not sure where it is at on the cart.

Yes, I need new batteries. I posted the fully charged pack and individual readings and the batteries are toast. I figured as much, with them setting for three and a half years. I still get about 25 mins of drivetime before they die.

I figured if I have to buy new batteries I may as well upgrade while I am at it. I have room for the extra two batteries under the seat. Wiring can't be that big of a deal. I just need to learn more about what else has to be changed to keep from BBQing the rest of the system.

I thought about 6 - 8Volt batteries but someone on here said the run time would be longer with 8 - 6 volt batteries. So, I have not made that decision yet.

smallblock450sl, has been helpful in leading me in the right direction, I just have not made contact yet.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
4RE KLR

Yamaha

I hadn't actually thought about needing to replace the charger as well.

I have a really good 36 volt charger.

Also:
I like the idea of the Nate's Boost that is going on in another thread. I am wondering if I can just hook up the seventh and eighth batteries with a micro switch. That would only be 12 volts and the micro is well rated for 12 volts with no problem.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I'm no Yammi expert, but ya can't send 2 batteries through a microswitch. The current will cause a meltdown.

8-6v will give longer runtimes, weigh more, and preserve your 12v hookups. Your 36v charger could stay in the loop and you could add a 12v smart charger for 2 of the batteries. 2 chargers is a hassle, but it keeps the costs down until a nice used 48v unit comes your way.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha