lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
The Penguin
Not Yet Wild

Default "billet" gas pedal set & accessories

I've got a 2005 CC DS - when I bought it - it came with several "billet" accessories:

gas/brake/park brake
shifter lever
cup holder "trim rings"
steering column cover
steering wheel hub
steering wheel

my cart is used and generally kept at the coast - I've had it about 2 years and the salt air has taken it's toll on the "billet" items

I keep using "billet" with quotes because it's not what equate with being a billet accessory. It is some sort of metal (aluminum?) with a chrome plating that is pitting and peeling off.

When I think of billet aluminum - it is machined aluminum parts, typically anodized, not chrome plated.

I don't mean to disparage any particular vendor or supplier - these items are widely sold and available through any number of retailers.

So - long story short - I've got a bunch of ugly "billet" parts - what can I do to get them looking nice again without paying out the wazoo to just replace them?

powder coating? re-chroming? chuck it and just buy new stuff? (about $400 worth of parts)

Suggestions?

Thanks!
The Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: "billet" gas pedal set & accessories

you are correct with "billet" i can turn these items at work from cold rolled steel. they are still a billet item.

as for the chrome, i have never understood the chrome plating aluminum. the chrome will rust eventually. aluminum is corrosion resistant but will look fairly ugly when left alone with the coastal air.

when things rust it is usually hard to get that to stay gone. i would figure you are gonna have to replace them.

good luck,
Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is it aluminum? Just polish it out, forget chroming it
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
The Penguin
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
Is it aluminum? Just polish it out, forget chroming it
It's definitely some sort of chrome plating over a non-metallic substrate.

so maybe chrome-plated aluminum.

there is no polishing this out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg column.jpg (81.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
WickedCarts
NOT a Sponsor

YOUR COLUMN is not chrome plated... alum sucks for salt water one of my custom carts that we built and had custom billet 14" wheels made and in one year they were all pitted and nasty looking... one set we had polished and the other set we had powder coated... now for you pedal if fore-par made them yes they cromed them they thought they would last longer than polished ... most of the time i just scrap them old stuff and by new...

and i know the wheel are biullet i seen them in the CNC being machine and they are very expensive...
WickedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

What I meant if it is aluminum you can polish it out but you will have to sand down the inperfection to get it to be smooth to buff it out for a mirror shine.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
The Penguin
Not Yet Wild

thanks - I'm thinking about dropping them off at a plating shop for de-plating - then buffing them out, or have them electro-polished.

a "guesstimate" price from a plating shop was almost comically high - I could replace everything for almost the price they gave me just to have the steering column re-chromed.

also considering having some CNC'd ones made by an acquaintance in the business that likes doing new stuff.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

another option that eats chrome is muratic acid. we have used it at work to strip chrome from steel parts. i have no idea how it works on plated aluminum. you could always try leaving your trim rings in it for like 15 minute intervals. rinse them in water and check condition of chrome. i have no clue how that stuff reacts with aluminim, maybe google it?

just a thought,
Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I tried using Muratic acid to disolve dried paint in an old paint gun cup and after the bubbling, hissing and smoke cleared I had a melted pile of paint gun cup on a piece of wood. Thankfully it was outside.

I would suggest checking the cost of getting them blasted and powdercoated the color that accents the cart.
Stay away from the "chrome" powdercoating unless the coater can show you some samples.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
The Penguin
Not Yet Wild

cart is black & silver (too bad I'm not a Raider's fan) - so it's looking like gloss black may be the winner if I powder coat.

"Jet Hot" ceramic coating does have a chrome-like finish, but it's not near as durable as powder coating.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car