lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Battery cables - What's up??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
The cables that I was looking at are also 4awg

Features & Benefits Made Of Quality Copper Conductor w/ Cast Antimonial Lead Universal Terminals, Full-Gauge Stranded Copper Core Is Flexible For Easy Installation & Maximum Current For Quick Starting; Copper Core Extends To The End Of The Plated Lug To Give A One-Piece Solid Connection, Meets SAE Standards, PVC Insulation
Cast Antimonial Lead Universal Terminals, is another word for cheap.

Copper Core Extends To The End Of The Plated Lug To Give A One-Piece Solid Connection I have seen this first hand. The cable starts with about 1" of bare wire exposed, and a hollow cylinder of layered paper thin alloy is placed over the wire. The assembly is placed in a die which closes the cylinder around the jacket and bare cable, flattens out the end, punches the lug hole (right through the strands themselves), and rounds the tip all at once. The result is electrically sufficient, but it will corrode very quickly. These are NOT cables for high-end builds. They are the kind of cables you throw on a cart to sell it quickly. "Yeah, them cables are brand new."
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
joe100
Gone Wild

Club Car

I Agree with making your ownor get them from one of the sponsors. When I make up my cables #2 or #4 depending on my use of the cart. The one I use for snow plowing has #2 on it. Welding cable, T&B, or Burndy crimps with5/16" eyelet Good crimper, I also use a T&B copper shield and a shrink tube the type with the Glue inside. this all makes a good cable for the cart. And for a few extra dollars you can up grade the wire to even more felx, but it's not needed I've had my wires on since 2007 still look like new. Good Luck to you. listen to these guy's on here they won't steer you wrong. JOE
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
Dang , think it would be easier to get a set from CPP or scottyB

U skip on the anniversary and U may not have a cart
Do you think scottyb or CPP would let me come drink PBR's while they make them for me?
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by langstonjones View Post
Do you think scottyb or CPP would let me come drink PBR's while they make them for me?
Oh heck yeah

I have been know to crack a cold beer in the face of 50 or 60 Solder connections
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 AM   #15
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

You crimp 14 tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.

as a example of what i think a cable should look like, heres a 2awg cable i made for my truck earlier today. i used #2 welding cable, t&b brown lug, no-ox-id a special, thick adhesive lined heat shrink, 14 ton t&b crimping head, 10,000psi t&b electric hydraulic pump. my 2¢ fwiw.
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2awg1.jpg (60.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2awg3.jpg (72.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2awg2.jpg (98.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2awg4.jpg (64.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2awg5.jpg (64.3 KB, 13 views)
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #16
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
You crimp 14 tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.

as a example of what i think a cable should look like, heres a 2awg cable i made for my truck earlier today. i used #2 welding cable, t&b brown lug, no-ox-id a special, thick adhesive lined heat shrink, 14 ton t&b crimping head, 10,000psi t&b electric hydraulic pump. my 2¢ fwiw.
-sj
Good looking cable ends there dude! You put that side by side with the example above and my kids could tell you the better cable. On second thought they may actually like the one shown above because it appears to be made by some of their childhood brethren in CHINA
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Cast Antimonial Lead Universal Terminals, is another word for cheap.

Copper Core Extends To The End Of The Plated Lug To Give A One-Piece Solid Connection I have seen this first hand. The cable starts with about 1" of bare wire exposed, and a hollow cylinder of layered paper thin alloy is placed over the wire. The assembly is placed in a die which closes the cylinder around the jacket and bare cable, flattens out the end, punches the lug hole (right through the strands themselves), and rounds the tip all at once. The result is electrically sufficient, but it will corrode very quickly. These are NOT cables for high-end builds. They are the kind of cables you throw on a cart to sell it quickly. "Yeah, them cables are brand new."
As Gorno and others said...stay away from this type of cable end! When you tighten down the nut, it "distorts/smashes" the end and will loosen very quickly with the amps and curent needed to flow thru them. Now for another observation, DO NOT use "wing nuts"!...Try to use 5/16th head stainless steel nuts (rather then 1/2" nuts). And another good idea is when checking battery water level's (once a month), check the tightness of the nuts.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

PS: just a FYI. THE battery cables themselves always degrade at the connectors first.
So add 2 " to each end when making them , then in 5-8 years U can cut the end off
and add new connectors, WA-LA a new cable !
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Wow I wish I would have re-checked this thread earlier. Those cables DO look awesome! i'll definately be getting a set of those! In the meantime, I HAD to replace my cables today as the ones that were on there were swelled pretty badly at the ends and ozzing something. Because I don't have a cart store nearby, I went ahead and used automotive wires similar to the ones I pictured. 4ga, I know that. After doing so, I now have a problem. The cart doesn't want to go. It clicks when you throw the switch, but it doesn't move an inch. I've checked my connections several tiimes and everything is wired right and is tight. I replaced one wire at a time.

I'm stumped ... any thoughts?

I just hooked it up to the charger hoping that it'll somehow magically fix or reset something.
Mayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #20
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Wow I wish I would have re-checked this thread earlier. Those cables DO look awesome! i'll definately be getting a set of those!...

I'm stumped ... any thoughts?
thanx!

maybe one of the kids china wa having a bad day and forgot to strip one of the wires prior to sticking it in the press???

Quote:
I just hooked it up to the charger hoping that it'll somehow magically fix or reset something.
how long has it been since you ran it? did the charger come on when you plugged it in? i don't own a yamaha so i don't know they operate...
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha