lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #21
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery cables - What's up??

Quote:
Originally Posted by langstonjones View Post
Good looking cable ends there dude!
hey thanx buddy!

i need to snap some photos of my battery bay... cable pron!
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

quote=sonicj;545450]thanx!

maybe one of the kids china wa having a bad day and forgot to strip one of the wires prior to sticking it in the press???

how long has it been since you ran it? did the charger come on when you plugged it in? i don't own a yamaha so i don't know they operate...
-sj[/quote]

Haha ... I hope chinaman made the wires right!

I haven't really "ran" the cart all winter, however I ran it out of the garage onto my driveway to clean the batteries and change the wires.

What I did was run it onto the driveway, and because the terminal ends looked horrible on a few of the wires, what I did was I poured baking soda onto all of the ends, and then rinsed them off with distilled water until clean. I then used my compressor and blew the entire area dry.

Now that the area was cleaned, I started to remove the wires and replace them one at a time. I started with the simple ones and in no particular order replaced them until I was at the passenger side. Once there, I removed the battery to better access the wire that goes to what I guess is the controller as well as a relay wire. I then re-installed the battery, and made the final connections. I zip tied everything down and made sure everything was kung foo tight. When I went to put the cart in drive and test it out, the (whatever) "clicked", however all my cart did was roll back downhill. Same result in reverse - nothing.

After re-checking my connections, I went to a couple of fuses that are under the cup holders, (5amp and 10amp I think ) and both were fine. I also checked a couple of inline fuse holders that I found, and both of those were fine as well. I also checked my headlights, and they worked fine (well one did ... it looks like I need a bulb in the other

Hoping for the best, I now have it hooked up to the charger. It started out as "dead", however I think it always does this regardless of how well charged the batteries are. I just checked it out and it's up to 80% charged. I also removed the battery caps, and they're all "bubbling", so I guess everything is good. I really hope the charger is the solution. If it's not, I'm stumped.

Mayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Dude? Cart ran, you changed the cables = now, cart no run? All symptoms point to you forgot to connect or mis-connected some silly little wire?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
I zip tied everything down and made sure everything was kung foo tight.
this could be your problem... pull em too tight and something might have gotten pulled loose at the ends. ie: microswitch, etc.
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #25
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Dude? Cart ran, you changed the cables = now, cart no run? All symptoms point to you forgot to connect or mis-connected some silly little wire?
Yeah I know, it seems so simple, but I've checked everything and it all seems fine. If it doesn't run after a full charge I'll try the old wires again. I hope I didn't fry something while hooking it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
this could be your problem... pull em too tight and something might have gotten pulled loose at the ends. ie: microswitch, etc.
-sj
No, I mean all of the cables are kung foo tight at the terminals.

It's still at 80%. Hopefully after a full charge ( which it wasn't at when I pulled it out ) it'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 AM   #26
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Ok, the cart is fully charged, and it still doesn't run. I did notice something though that I'm not sure if it's normal or not. When I throw turn the throw the switch to run and I tun the key, I hear a "click", and then about 2 seconds later I hear another click. Is this normal? It almost sounds like some sort of relay is opening, and then closing shortly after.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #27
joe100
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you had the one battery out you didn't put it in backwards did you? Just a thought.
joe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #28
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
When you had the one battery out you didn't put it in backwards did you? Just a thought.
Nope

Since this was my first time ever really doing any kind of "work" to my cart, I was a little nervous and really took my time to make sure everything went back in as it came out. I even took before pics so that I could double check my work as I went along.

Stupid Question - Does it matter if the cables are touching each other? Not the ends of the cables, but the jacketed part? The reason that I ask is that this morning I noticed that one or two of the old cables had split loom on them, and the ones that I put in did not. To keep things clean and because the replacement cables were a little longer than what I took out, I zip tied a few together. Should that matter, or could that be part of the problem?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #29
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

As long as the jacketing is intact and there are no shorts it should not?
Check with a voltmeter the final pack voltage just to be sure. what is it?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #30
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Check with a voltmeter the final pack voltage just to be sure. what is it?
I have a volt meter, but I'm embarrassed to admit that I really don't know how to use it. There are so many settings that I get confused. Can you tell me where I should set the dial?

Here are some pics of the install. Unfortunately I didn't take any before pics, but i did take a few long the way. I drew a picture of where the wires went, and THEN I saw the picture along the back wall of the diagram. DUH!!

Here is the first one. You can see a few of the old cables here and how ratty they are. Keep in mind, this is AFTER I cleaned them!

Another

Is this the relay?

Here is what it looked like when I was all done

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha