lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reed Switch Bypass

Just make sure you explain to the cart owners that the cart WILL drive off with the charger plugged in. Not that they would try it, but in case they do press the pedal, you don't want them surprised/hurt.

That part is a pricey one to replace too.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #12
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
That part is a pricey one to replace too.
wow, it sure is!

heres a sealed one from digikey for $2.83 - link
you'll want to look at the datasheet prior to ordering to confirm the size, must operate distance and orientation. wattage, current, voltage shouldn't really matter unless its pulling in a mechanical relay. OR just bypass it hope nobody has a "senior moment".
-sj
sonicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #13
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicj View Post
wow, it sure is!

heres a sealed one from digikey for $2.83 - link
you'll want to look at the datasheet prior to ordering to confirm the size, must operate distance and orientation. wattage, current, voltage shouldn't really matter unless its pulling in a mechanical relay. OR just bypass it hope nobody has a "senior moment".
-sj
The reed switch is a dedicated part and CANNOT be substituted with some generic hardware because it won't fit in the cart charge receptacle. If sonic had actually ever SEEN one, he would realize this fact.

I'm pretty sure a new one can be had for around $12 + shipping these days. Back when I broke mine they were over $50.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The reed switch is a dedicated part and CANNOT be substituted with some generic hardware because it won't fit in the cart charge receptacle. If sonic had actually ever SEEN one, he would realize this fact.

I'm pretty sure a new one can be had for around $12 + shipping these days. Back when I broke mine they were over $50.
huh? is the switch in the photo not what we are talking about?

one of the 762 reed switches in their inventory will fit in that hole without the ez-go special sauce.
-sj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReedSwitchnormal.jpg (90.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #15
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

So, you have actually done this? If so, I will retract my previous statement. If not, it's just more of your theoretical hyperbole. This ain't Ohm's Law, it's real cart repair.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #16
sonicj
Gone Wild

Club Car

i don't need to do have done it... its a common reed switch! its not like its some undocumented proprietary Ez-Go technology... they've only been around for like 75 years. you think ez-go blows their own glass reed switches that only react to rare earth magnets mined in ez-go quarries?
-sj
Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #17
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So in that photo Sonic posted, which of those is the reed switch? Thx.
desigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
rivahpirate
Not Yet Wild

so am I to understand that the only thing this reed switch does is to prevent to cart from being driven while the charger is still pluged in? If so that is true...I guess if one makes sure it is unplugged then it is safe to bypass this switch. Ez-go sells the switch for 14.68 and 16.00 dollars for shipping.....this thing would fit into a regular envelop and wieghs hardly nothing.
rivahpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

LOL, you obviously didn't get a tech on the phone Reference voltage is the voltage at the battery mains at the time of the tests.

If I say you should have 36v + here and you read 37.4 don't be alarmed, check the mains and see that 37.4 is the pack reading.

Reference the SOC chart in the stickies at the top of this section.

Reed switch pic below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3540.jpg (134.5 KB, 21 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivahpirate View Post
so am I to understand that the only thing this reed switch does is to prevent to cart from being driven while the charger is still pluged in? If so that is true...I guess if one makes sure it is unplugged then it is safe to bypass this switch. Ez-go sells the switch for 14.68 and 16.00 dollars for shipping.....this thing would fit into a regular envelop and wieghs hardly nothing.
Yes, you are correct. You can (as I read somewhere on here) route the charger cable thru the steering wheel so the senior moment might be prevented.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO