lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Which switch to make it idle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzky View Post
Listen to BIG BLOCK MAN he the master of carts
I agree!!

TheNewGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
RedNeck Rhino
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
To make the cart idle unplug the black with white stripe wire on the passanger side rear fender then just adjust idle screw. The starter is not engaged until you step on the pedal to engage the solenoid. This however will not cure your problem with the lights as they will only be on when the solenoid is engaged. You would be best to connect light wires to battery. Also allowing the motor to idle this way will not harm anything, this is how yamaha recommended to do it. Cart will start with pedal but you will have to turn key to off to shut it off.
I tried unpluging the black and white wire yesterday evening. Unless your cart is idled way down, or you got really good brakes I wouldn't recommend doing this. Instead of turning the key to shut off the engine, I had to turn off the key to stop the cart. The cart was still pulling even with the emergency brake on. So needless to say I plugged mine back up. But it may be a project for another day.
RedNeck Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Rhino View Post
I tried unpluging the black and white wire yesterday evening. Unless your cart is idled way down, or you got really good brakes I wouldn't recommend doing this. Instead of turning the key to shut off the engine, I had to turn off the key to stop the cart. The cart was still pulling even with the emergency brake on. So needless to say I plugged mine back up. But it may be a project for another day.
There were a few of us waiting for this comment, Oh well...........
You're trying to eliminate a feature that has as much to do with SAFETY as it does with convenience.
If the "kids" that are driving the cart are responsible enough to drive they should understand if they leave the lights on they walk!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
CartMan101
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project G2 View Post
The simple fix would be (option A) run your light circuit directly to the battery. Fuse it of course. You could wire your stop start switch through a latching relay. But option A would be much easier.

Good Luck,
JW
Actually the simple fix would be to just lift up the floor mat, open the pedal service box, connect the two wires going to the mini-switch, and youre done! I did this to mine and it worked like a charm. I don't know if this will work on older carts or not, but it's worth a shot. By the way, my cart is a 2001 EZ_GO txt.
CartMan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I've read post's for "engine idling" and did not respond. I asked myself, "why" would some one want it that way? Yes G1's had a "spring" to move the sliding sheave to a non engaged position, there for allowing some belt slip so the cart would not move. Later G1's and all Yamaha 4 cycles do not have that spring and I would think belt would be engaging at idle, that would mean a longer belt, then you don't get full engagement. My other thought was oiling (not a pressureized system) and cooling. Can anyone explain why idleing is wanted? Just asking and throwing my 2 cents in. Good thread. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

ya the carts aren't ment to idle so i think its not such a great idea, especally for your belt and engine life like dave said. as for the lights question asked in the begining you could wire a relay to cut the power from all your lights when the key switch is turned off, or teach the kids not to leave the lights on, what ever seems easier to do lol
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Good info smallblock, I was not aware that some of the G1 carts had the clutch without a spring. No cart should be set up to idle without a clutch that has a spring I know on my G1 and all other G1's I worked on they had the clutch with the spring. The wire I mentioned was in Yamaha service manual to put cart in "maintence mode" if you will. I wanted my cart to stay running when you pulled up to a stop sign and also if your haulin *** and let of gas pedal and then depress pedal again you would sometimes get a hell of a pop when the spark plug fired again. eliminating the shut off remedied both of these issues for me. The oil system on the G1 is a gear driven pump just like the setup on snowmobiles. In fact the G1 motor is very close to the yamaha bravo sled engines. Here's a pic of the ol G-1, It was a bunch of fun. Not sure might have needed a bigger lift. LOL
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
Good info smallblock, I was not aware that some of the G1 carts had the clutch without a spring. No cart should be set up to idle without a clutch that has a spring I know on my G1 and all other G1's I worked on they had the clutch with the spring. The wire I mentioned was in Yamaha service manual to put cart in "maintence mode" if you will. I wanted my cart to stay running when you pulled up to a stop sign and also if your haulin *** and let of gas pedal and then depress pedal again you would sometimes get a hell of a pop when the spark plug fired again. eliminating the shut off remedied both of these issues for me. The oil system on the G1 is a gear driven pump just like the setup on snowmobiles. In fact the G1 motor is very close to the yamaha bravo sled engines. Here's a pic of the ol G-1, It was a bunch of fun. Not sure might have needed a bigger lift. LOL
BBM - That's a very nice looking old Yamaha Clean and simple. Nice lift,too.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Thanks Dave, That was the second cart I built. I made the first one so pretty the wife was affraid for me to drive it anywhere. (no don't go there you might scratch it. Oh no don't get it dirty) So I said I'm building me another cart, one I can USE. Its hard to tell in the pic but that was a $3.52 paint job with 4 cans of $.88 walmart brand spray paint. I told her if I scratched it enough that mud wouldn't cover it I could repaint the whole thing for under $4. LOL
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Nice G1 Tom What size are those tires? I like the "rounded" tread desighn, makes for an all around better ride. In 1985 (when the 4 cycle 3 link clutch came out in the G2's) is when G1's stopped having a spring. Nice to know I wasn't steering guy's in the wrong direction. Maybe we should call you "The Reverand Big Block Man", You always give great awnser's to the questions we have. Thanks Tom Sorry about highjacking this thread!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha