lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
lake surfer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Yamaha G2 Build / Questions

Hi All,

I picked up my first cart last week. The adventure has started. I have pulled the motor. Ordered a gen2 440cc conversion kit from Vegas carts. I started cleaning and painting all things visable found under the plastics. I'm now waiting for the motor kit and have come up with a few queshtions you guys might be able to help with. I'll add some photos because I know every one loves photos!

1. I want the cart to start with the gas pedal but I don't want it to kill the engine when you let off. I'd like to install a toggle switch to kill the motor after running. How would I do this?
2. What are good replacement shocks?
3. Can I run 12" or 14" wheels with low profile tires on the stock suspension?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1431.jpg (205.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1434.jpg (217.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1450.jpg (204.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1451.jpg (215.3 KB, 0 views)
lake surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 Build / Questions

Congrats on the G2! That's one of the best carts in history, imho.

1. I want the cart to start with the gas pedal but I don't want it to kill the engine when you let off. I'd like to install a toggle switch to kill the motor after running. How would I do this?

Answer: I did this exact mod. Leave all the stock starter/gen electronics the same. This will allow you to use the starter/gen to start the engine, and also as a generator....just as it was designed. Once the engine is started, it will continue to run until you kill it. On the clone there is a black wire coming from the coil, it will be the top wire (only two wires there). Just connect a long wire to that, run it all the way up to your dash to a toggle switch, then run another wire from the other lug on the toggle to ground. Mine works perfectly, and I actually prefer it that way because it will sit and idle as long as I need it to. Sometimes if it's dark, I like to keep the lights on to do some work/tasks like taking out the trash. Running the engine is the only way to not drain the battery.

Answer: There isn't really any specific shock to replace the stockers. A lot of guys will use atv shocks, although that usually also involves a lift of some sort. If you want a stock ride height, I'd recommend keeping the stock shocks. They are actually high quality KYB coil overs, very good shocks. Why would you want new? Is the ride bad now? Maybe they are just worn out, pretty common on older carts. I'd just get some new stock shocks.

Answer: I'm pretty sure you can run 12" wheels, but I'm not sure of the 14". You might give a call to one of the sites sponsors?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
dragos28
Gone Wild

Nice Cart!
Why dont you want to lift it?
even a 4" lift will make it sooo much more practical.
dragos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
lake surfer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Slo! I have read all of your threads. That's what made me want to do the kill switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Congrats on the G2! That's one of the best carts in history, imho.

Answer: I did this exact mod. Leave all the stock starter/gen electronics the same. This will allow you to use the starter/gen to start the engine, and also as a generator....just as it was designed. Once the engine is started, it will continue to run until you kill it. On the clone there is a black wire coming from the coil, it will be the top wire (only two wires there). Just connect a long wire to that, run it all the way up to your dash to a toggle switch, then run another wire from the other lug on the toggle to ground. Mine works perfectly, and I actually prefer it that way because it will sit and idle as long as I need it to. Sometimes if it's dark, I like to keep the lights on to do some work/tasks like taking out the trash. Running the engine is the only way to not drain the battery.

Answer: There isn't really any specific shock to replace the stockers. A lot of guys will use atv shocks, although that usually also involves a lift of some sort. If you want a stock ride height, I'd recommend keeping the stock shocks. They are actually high quality KYB coil overs, very good shocks. Why would you want new? Is the ride bad now? Maybe they are just worn out, pretty common on older carts. I'd just get some new stock shocks.

Answer: I'm pretty sure you can run 12" wheels, but I'm not sure of the 14". You might give a call to one of the sites sponsors?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/site-sponsors.php
Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
lake surfer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks. I am torn on the lift idea. Every thing with wheels I have ever owned has been lifted. Looking around here is like a candy store the lifted carts look awesome. My goal with this is to get to and from our local lake with 4 5gallon gas cans, 4 people, and a bunch of boating gear. My fear with the lift is it will hurt the functionality of what I am trying to do. I'm in the Seattle area and no matter where I go there is a long steep hill to get up or down. After taking all that into consideration I figured the lift would be dead last on my list of upgrades. The hills and payload is why the motor came out in the first hour of coming home. We drove to the beach with two of us in the cart and it struggled to get back up. Whamo motor out big block ordered.

Now I have the wife involved and she is shoe shopping for it. She too wants it lifted but I need to make sure it will perform first.

How does a lift make it more practical? Its my life experience that lifting anything requires more than just a lift to get back to a stock or better ride, payload, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos28 View Post
Nice Cart!
Why dont you want to lift it?
even a 4" lift will make it sooo much more practical.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
dragos28
Gone Wild

with the 4" lift you will have more ground clearance.
It wont change the dynamics of the vehicle, especially if you buy new wheels with spacers it will make it more stable.
If you are loading it with 4 people and a bunch of gear you will probably bottom out a lot with the stock suspension. Id also suggest some atv shocks.

I could imagine a 12" lift will make it impractical but a 4 or 6 inch should make it perform much better for what you are describing. and it will let you run bigger wheels.
dragos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
lake surfer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I completely agree that widening the stance will make it more stable. Won`t you loose power and torque with the bigger wheels and tires? that's my fear with the lift kit. My best guess fully loaded is in the 1500# of people, gas and gear. Take that and then push it up a mile long hill that is 5%-18% grade. Will the 440 be enough? In my truck I would simply regear and be done with it. in the cart world I`m not finding much other than to toss a bigger motor at it. I would love to run a 6" lift its kind of what I do to everything. although functionality needs to supersede form in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragos28 View Post
with the 4" lift you will have more ground clearance.
It wont change the dynamics of the vehicle, especially if you buy new wheels with spacers it will make it more stable.
If you are loading it with 4 people and a bunch of gear you will probably bottom out a lot with the stock suspension. Id also suggest some atv shocks.

I could imagine a 12" lift will make it impractical but a 4 or 6 inch should make it perform much better for what you are describing. and it will let you run bigger wheels.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I hope that 1500# includes the weight of the cart. Even then, that's really alot of weight for the suspension.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
lake surfer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
I hope that 1500# includes the weight of the cart. Even then, that's really alot of weight for the suspension.
That's my concern in lifting it. I came up with that number with the following. Feel free to correct.

4 people = 800# guessing 200# each give or take
4 gas cans full = 180#
1 ice chest full of beverages for the day = 100#
Gear and crap. Im sure its not but ill say its 400# (boards ropes towels clothes food. more ice. etc.)

I know I went on the high side but at a minimum it will average 1000#.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I would sooner get a small trailer to tow behind the cart. A golf cart is just not designed to hold that kind of weight. You can add more power, but that does nothing to help the suspension carry the weight.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha