lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Bricball
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G22 gas cart question- am I getting ripped?

I have a 04 G22 gas cart. Getting ready to get the Jakes 6"spindle kit (6255)put on and the service person is saying that I will need to put the power kit/with clutch on it too. He's spewing some stuff about if I put bigger wheels and tires on it that it will need the kit. Is this right? I don't want to put it on because my cart runs fine now...why wouldn't it run fine after the lift kit?
Bricball is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: G22 gas cart question- am I getting ripped?

Welcome to BGW!
If you install the lift kit, with larger diameter tires, you will have less torque available to the wheels. To compensate for this, many guys use a power spring or modified clutches.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
PcolaKB
Not Yet Wild

My 2009 did ok with 22" tires and 3" lift but I opened up the governor and then read that the performance kit will reduce strain on the engine. I got the kit from Plowmans. It now has more power at low speed and will run 27mph now.
PcolaKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The guys are right, you'll feel a difference in the power delivery when you put bigger tires on. The clutch work is to compensate for that and it will restore/improve your power delivery (torque). You can try it without, but if you do any kind of hauling, towing, hill climbing, it will likely be very noticeable and you may kick yourself for not doing the clutch work.

The straight answer is you don't "need" it, you can run it without the clutch work. But the question is "Will you be happy with it?".
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Bricball
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys for the help! it makes since now... I am going to test it out first without it and then decide. PCOLAKB...how much was the kit from Plowmans?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Go to the sponsors page....

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts.c...1363289472&v=2

looks like $200
Old 06-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
PcolaKB
Not Yet Wild

379.00 plus shipping both ways on the clutches.
PcolaKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Jacked Frost
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I just installed jakes 6" spindle lift on my 2005 G22 with 22" tires, I climb hills almost the same as I did 2 weeks ago before I installed lift. I notice some tire rub on inside wheel wells with the lower tire pressure I used but nothing dramatic. I have also installed rear seat so bit more weight but, no adults yet so time will tell about needing a HD rear spring kit from JAkes but, I like the soft ride and will mainly only put two kids on back as rear seats are so narrow anyway not really any good for long ride with an adult.
In my opinion drive it and try it but, all these kit adjustments etc. talked about constantly here and $ not for me .. I drive up long 45 - 60 degree hills and over lots of logs and rock climb with no issues. I go slow but, that's why I bought a golf cart- also bought it for ease of repair and longevity so the more stock the better it should last. Its for my wife and 3 year old daughter and me for some quiet trail rides and getting around cottage. The time plus mod into these "golf carts" you may as well buy a Ranger or something as price will end up being close - another $ 1500 up here . In my case I wanted the extra clearance for off road, quiet ride and be able to talk, 15 km or so is fine - life's too short anyway, relatively safe as can be, get up the hill from the water too cottage- cause sad but I'm no Brad Pitt, Just put the foot on gas and point and secondly because I don't like to think too much. Need constant wood plus get to run away from everyone go get some fire wood, and let my dad who's 83 feel like a kid again to visit places you wouldn't walk too.That's it that's all no more-oh as I ramble on my vote is "what is ripped off" ?
Jacked Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
Bricball
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I agree Jacked Frost.... I see some of these carts that have more money in them than my first car. I am mainly using the cart to tool around the neighborhood and we live on/by a golf course...I want it to be nice..but I don't want to spend a fortune. Doing projects one at a time. My G22 already has a back seat, head/tail lights, canopy radio. My friend that owns a body shop is going to paint it Gunmetal Grey for me and put on the 6" Jakes spindle kit.
I plan on putting a set of black 12" rims on it. Last thing will be the seats recovered. Again...not all at once just some weekend projects.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have $3000 in my cart, and it has 12 inch lift, atv front suspension, hd shocks, disc brakes, dump bed, Plowman's clutches, and a 30hp Vegas Carts clone. It'll climb the steepest hills, goes 39 mph, will tow 2000 lbs and plow a foot of snow. Who needs a used beat up $7000 Ranger? LOL

My point is, you can make these carts anything you want them to be. You can spend $500 or $5000. It's whatever you want them to do. There is no right or wrong answer for your situation. Well, actually there is...."Do what YOU like" because it's your cart.

I say get the lift, drive it around. If you want better performance, then go for it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha