lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
v1music
Not Yet Wild

Default Stereo Install Remote allways Positive or Both

I installed a radio like you typically would in a car with a always positive and the remote to a switch. Should I only run to the switch and not have the always hot due to battery draw? If i have both to the switch I wont have any memory, correct?
v1music is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
MC1
Getting Wild

Default Re: Stereo Install Remote allways Positive or Both

Correct. yellow to a switch will kill the memory/clock when the switch is in the off position

You still need to have the yellow wired up to make the stereo work.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #3
v1music
Not Yet Wild

okay, i figured. I want to keep memory but I have read other threads where people just use a switch and no consistent power because they are afraid of the draw. How much can that really draw?
v1music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1music View Post
okay, i figured. I want to keep memory but I have read other threads where people just use a switch and no consistent power because they are afraid of the draw. How much can that really draw?
milli amps
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
MC1
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1music View Post
Yellow to constant 12v source to keep he clock and memory. Red to a switch tied into 12v power or to the ignition, black to ground.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

While the yellow wire will only draw a few milli-amps when the Radio is OFF, it will draw all of the Radio current when the Radio is ON, so make sure You use the appropriate gauge wire.

The issue is that the converter needs to be ON all of the time in order to Provide the stand-by power to the Radio.

Best option is to use a Radio with non-volatile memory.

Otherwise You can add a $5 48v relay so You can still turn Your accessories ON/OFF using the key switch while keeping the converter powered all the time for the constant +12v source.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1091955
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
dawg1
Not Yet Wild

Let's say you only have the radio and lights. Is it still beneficial to have a switch on the converter since it will be powered anyway for the memory (with the lights and radio having their own toggle switch already)?

Does the converter itself draw power? If so is it enough to just give up on radio memory and do without?

Thanks.
dawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #8
dannyre
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg1 View Post
Let's say you only have the radio and lights. Is it still beneficial to have a switch on the converter since it will be powered anyway for the memory (with the lights and radio having their own toggle switch already)?

Does the converter itself draw power? If so is it enough to just give up on radio memory and do without?

Thanks.
Cant see it being a problem while off and both the red and yellow hooked up correctly. Resetting your tone controls, tuner presets etc. is a pain in the ....

Your problem will only be when you crank the crap out of the stereo, that's where you use the current.

My system is a JBL Bluetooth receiver and an Alpine amp, draws about the same as your setup when idle and not being used, don't worry....
dannyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are two other options:
1) Get a dc converter that has both constant and switched 12v outputs.
2) Get a radio with non-volatile memory so you don't need constant power.
You can also just leave the converter ON all the time as the draw is very small.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car