lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #21
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: I screwed something up

Direct connecting (for a very short time) won't hurt anything unless there is already damage. Try it. Wire the field (S1, S2) in SERIES with the Armature (A1, A2) and then connect the remaining terminals (one of the S and one of the A) to a single battery. (With the cart jacked up off the ground! Do NOT try this on the motor if it's not installed in the cart!!!!! As you know by now, the armature is only supported on one end in the motor. The other end support is in the rear end so never run the motor by itself.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #22
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well just left the local alternator shop and they tested the armature and field coils and found no shorts. Guy said I did a good job. Woot woot. Now on to the motor test. If it turns I think that leaves me with a problem in the FR switch area. Maybe micro-switches...
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #23
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Motor works. That's good. On to the next check.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #24
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Maybe verify the F&R switch you modified is working properly? Or a bad cable? Looks like those and the motor are the only things you touched since the last time it was running?
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #25
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You were exactly right Hadiman. It's always the simplest things that cause problems because you take them for-granted.

After all the checking, cussing and head scratching it was the FR switch.

When I added the thicker copper I added spacers to the micro-switches, or limit switches as my brother calls them, but not to the hard stops for the assembly to hit. There is a turned down pieces of metal on the bottom of the rotating part of the switch that hits to square bars to make sure the contacts line up. Basically I was over rotating the assembly and not making connection and therefore not allowing current to pass.

Duh!

When I saw it I turned the FR lever back slightly and Voila! Could have kicked myself. Well I fixed that for good by extending the stops and now it works as it should.

Took it out for a test drive and hit 28 mph with my motor mods. Nah just kidding. I went the same speed but it sure was nice to be back riding again.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I would say that turning the armature is a doable job if you have a lathe at home or shop. Take light cuts so as not to smear the copper too bad and make one of the hacksaw do-dads and you will have a like new commutator. Be sure to sand all the brushes smooth to eliminate the grooves. Also a shop press is a must.

Hope this helps someone else in the future to tackle their own cart.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #26
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Good Job!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO