lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #11
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Any simple way to wire voltage reducer for one accessory (lights)?

Make sense, thanks so much. I'll order the parts for the relay in the meantime. Wondering if I can use some connectors for that diode connection so I don't have to leave it so naked?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I like to solder the diode between the relay coil power wires like that to protect the diode.

You then use shrink wrap or electrical tape over both wires to protect the entire diode connection area.

You can also crimp the diode with the wire right at the 3/16 quick connector for each relay coil terminal.

Just remember the side of the diode with a stripe goes towards the positive relay coil wire.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #13
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks. Parts ordered. I'm going to crimp the diode to the female connections per your description. Appreciate the help.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCousinVinnie View Post
My lights came with a wiring harness. There are two wires with female connectors on them that currently plug into the light switch, one on each side, and then two wires (one pos, one negative) for a power connection that have o-rings (presumably thinking someone is going to connect to two six volts, or use a separate battery I guess). Then, of course, you have the four connections for the four lights (headlights and tail lights). it looks kind of like the attachment, but without whatever that plug or relay looking thing is on the positive wire on the far left:

I hope that explanation makes sense.
Don't mean to highjack this thread from the OP but i'm kinda of in the same boat. The only question I have is of my harness. My LED light kit came with a harness that has two ring type connectors for the positive and negative like i was going to plug it directly to the batteries. I'm using a voltage reducer so I would plug the positive to my accessories 12v primary coming from the reducer and my negative from the harness to the negative ground on the battery pack? (not to the reducer as well?) just want to make sure.

Thanks,
MikeF0209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #15
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF0209 View Post
Don't mean to highjack this thread from the OP but i'm kinda of in the same boat. The only question I have is of my harness. My LED light kit came with a harness that has two ring type connectors for the positive and negative like i was going to plug it directly to the batteries. I'm using a voltage reducer so I would plug the positive to my accessories 12v primary coming from the reducer and my negative from the harness to the negative ground on the battery pack? (not to the reducer as well?) just want to make sure.

Thanks,
I think I answered my own question with the reply from this gentleman (post 4) on this thread doing a little more research. I just would like confirmation. Black or negative 12v goes back to Battery pack Neg/ground just as the reducer does. 12v accessories or primary connects to 12v primary of the reducer.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...er-lights.html
Old 11-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is correct, all negatives connect back to pack negative.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #17
MikeF0209
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: Any simple way to wire voltage reducer for one accessory (lights)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is correct, all negatives connect back to pack negative.
Thank you sir!
Old 11-04-2016, 01:14 PM   #18
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

You guys have confused me now. My reducer has four wires with four descriptions like the one attached. If you are saying all of these black ones go back to the negative back, that's three wires going to the negative main pack? One from the lights, the black input in the picture and the black output in the picture. My understanding was that the negative "output" wire, just connected to the negative (black) on the lights. That's what I've seen online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 412FX2XgqTL.jpg (30.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is the problem of mixing different questions on the same thread.

All negatives are common, which means they all eventually go back to pack negative.

You can certainly combine the negatives on a "common block" and run a single wire back to pack negative.

You just need to make sure the "single" wire you run back to pack negative can handle the combined current.

My personal preference is to keep all of the 12v negatives on a single fuse block or "buss bar", that also has the negative from the 12v side of the converter.

The negative from the 48v input side of the converter would run straight to pack negative (or accessory connection OFF controller B- if using an OBC).

Since none of the wire gauges were mentioned on that previous question, the only safe answer was to let the poster run all negatives back to pack negative.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #20
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Makes sense, thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car